• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Just for Fun No C&C will be given: Office Window Buddy

One of first few shots with new lens...

original.jpg

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Hi Winston,

That's a very pleasant surprise! Where were both of you and how close can you focus? I'm thinking is your Sony A 700 noisy enough to frgihten away animals? Well I guess that's no issue as you were using a 400mm lens! That means a major commitment to Sony, or was this lens part of your previous Konica Minolta gear?

I'm interested in this camera as it has a convenient built in flash and no mechanical mirror to cause vibrations. So is this quiet enough for stealth shooting at a classical concert?

At $1500 it would compete with the 40D and the Nikon D300. I wonder how the quality of the images compare? DPReview has not covered it properly, just in preview.

Asher

Hi Winston,

That's a very pleasant surprise! Where were both of you and how close can you focus? I'm thinking is your Sony A 700 noisy enough to frgihten away animals?
She was 14" outside my window on a wall-mounted feeder. I was inside 1.5 to 2 meters away. nothing scares her away...not even the cats. She likes to have her nose rubbed...terrible beggar.

Well I guess that's no issue as you were using a 400mm lens! That means a major commitment to Sony, or was this lens part of your previous Konica Minolta gear?
It's a new lens (70-400mm f/4-5.6 SSM) that replaces my old 100-400mm f/4.5-6.7. Doesn't sound like much of a change but it's huge.

I'm interested in this camera as it has a convenient built in flash and no mechanical mirror to cause vibrations. So is this quiet enough for stealth shooting at a classical concert?
Last time I looked it had a moving mirror just like any other DSLR. It's a little noisier than, say, a Canon 40D.

At $1500 it would compete with the 40D and the Nikon D300. I wonder how the quality of the images compare? DPReview has not covered it properly, just in preview.
DPReview has a full and updated review. It sells today for $999 (12.2 MPx).

I have two bodies. As all my lenses are full frame except for the 11-18mm, I'm thinking of replacing one with a full-frame 24 Mpx A900...one less lens to carry ;-)

Asher Kelman

Last time I looked it had a moving mirror just like any other DSLR. It's a little noisier than, say, a Canon 40D.
Well, ASAIK the shutter sound on the 40D is like that of the 50D and that can be switched off in the options, according to Kathy Rappaport. I had read that the Sony A700 has a pentaprism and so I thought that replaced the moving mirror?

Asher

Well, ASAIK the shutter sound on the 40D is like that of the 50D and that can be switched off in the options, according to Kathy Rappaport. I had read that the Sony A700 has a pentaprism and so I thought that replaced the moving mirror?

Asher

Asher,

I'm afraid you are confused and need some help. Start here. Note that there is a pentaprism and a moving mirror.

When you digest this, we can talk about the other (smaller) moving mirror that illuminates the focus sensors.

Asher Kelman

Asher,

I'm afraid you are confused and need some help. Start here. Note that there is a pentaprism and a moving mirror.

When you digest this, we can talk about the other (smaller) moving mirror that illuminates the focus sensors.
Got it! I thought that it obviated the need for the other mirror. When the Sony came out they noted it replace the mirror and I confused the two.

Asher