• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

At sea

Ossi Raimi

Some likes, some doesn't ... so it's nice to hear what you're thinking....
And yes, I know the colors are "caramel" ...

full

Thanks for looking and thanks for comments whatever you say!

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Some likes, some doesn't ... so it's nice to hear what you're thinking....
And yes, I know the colors are "caramel" ...

full

Thanks for looking and thanks for comments whatever you say!
Ossi,

Thumbs up! I love it but won't say why yet. Let others come in. I'd want this on my wall, but I'd ask you a bunch of questions.

Asher

Andy brown

* language and stereotyping warning*

If soft, mild and slightly awkward use of profanity offends, change the channel!

If low level stereotyping for the sake of a smirk offends, please divert eyes now( and put the kiddies to bed)

I really like it.
There's lots going on. lots.

For me, the conversation that strikes up in my mind goes something like this...
" Ahhh!, what are the pigeons thinking..'If I $h!t now I can scone the guy on the right if the sea breeze gusts at just the right moment..." If I $h!t now I can slot it through the grills of the grate and flush it straight to sea just like the gormless humans do'..... Fat white guy-" Jesus, my wife is not holding up well to the ravages of time, it looks for all the world like I'm a tragic fat white guy who has an androgenous partner who could be a transgender crossdresser ( you pick which way) and for God's sake can someone remove those swarthy, overtly ostentatious, upstart wannabes from my field of view/view of the ocean...Dog-...
.." HUMANS!!!!...you can only laugh".

Oh! and yes, the subtle similarity between the colour and texture of the bench and the bin add a nice touch.

Rachel Foster

First, I love the colors. Then the pattern of the pier juxtaposed with the water is delightfully quirky. The people bring a warmth and 'everyday-ness" to the image, helping the viewer insert her/himself into the scene. I find the partial dog in the lower right hand corner distracting, however. I want either all of it or none of it.

Nice image.

Ossi Raimi

Thank you for your comments!
Personally I like this photo, sometimes I fear it's almost too perfect, like setup, or photoshop "made"....anyway it isn't...

Ken Tanaka

pro member
Thank you for your comments!
Personally I like this photo, sometimes I fear it's almost too perfect, like setup, or photoshop "made"....anyway it isn't...

If you like it, that's all that really counts.

I see a lot of this type of imagery week-in, week-out. My own opinion: it is close to being quite a nice contemporary documentary/art image. But it misses the mark for a few reasons.

1. You're standing too far away and in the wrong position. That clump of men has become a largely meaningless small blob in the frame with no individuality or expression. They're all facing away and apparently not really looking at anything at all. Most of the frame contains nothing but sky.

2. I like the dog but he's framed just a bit too far in the corner and his gesture and expression is completely removed from the blob of men, telling us that there's someone out of view that has drawn his attention. He's a distraction.

3. You've used the lamp post to bisect the frame but you've not used the bisection to create a more complex subject compartmentalization. There's nothing in the entire right side of the frame except part of that dog's head.

4. The colors are over-cooked and, because of 1 and 2, have become the de-facto subject along with that empty bench.

That's my solicited critique. Again, though, if you like this image that's all that counts.

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Ossi,

Now that Ken has entered his own entirely effective critique, I will offer mine. He might want the dog to walk into the frame, I'd want to take control of that with a wider shot. He might want to approach closer, I'd change by angle to exclude what was not needed. I didn't wish to open discussion in a way that might extinguish comments that refer to the success of the picture. I like the subject and the framing is pleasing.

In some way, it seemed to me that you might be taking Norman Rockwell's "lantern" to have us look away from the streets and homes and farms to the coast, but with some inversion of respect for the folks featured. I imagined that you were making some fun of the men staring pointlessly at nothing. I like it when a photographer finds a distinct perspective and then hones this view with a series of well-conceived and made images following up on this motif. So I am impressed as my first impression was positive and that's where I start!

full

Then I saw that 2 birds on the top of the lamppost, I wondered why they, who could see better than anyone, were sacrificed in the harsh processing of the photography file. As Ken points out, the sky is giving such great importance as a subject, and it overwhelms anything else.

The dog in the lower right hand corner could be a counterpoint of brilliance. We'd like it to have understood his thoughts, "Look how pointless the sky watchers are!". The eyes are not bright and his jaw is cut off, that makes the dog a more or less trivial addition and unable to speak, so to speak.

So, with your forbearance, allow me to use your photograph as an example around which to offer two pleas which might allow such novel ideas to survive to the final delivered image. This is not a formula, but an approach based on what I believe the masters did in their own darkrooms. Of course, I may miss the point of your shared photograph, but for sake of my argument, let's imagine that I have sufficient comprehension to serve as a quasi-model for a well intended and equipped viewer.

I'll now repeat, then, 2 take-home thoughts for consideration, (that I admit I've harangued about time and again!). These are

• Shoot wider (unless you are a pro doing what you know you can do well each time)

• Only make changes where they are absolutely needed, hardly ever globally.

If we don't measure out changes as each part of the image demands we take great risks. Worse, levanthian alterations, can wipe out much of the esthetic experience we hope to present. Los potential is tragic! That's what I'm hoping we can prevent.

Asher

Ken Tanaka

pro member
I'd like to add one more thought to this thread for Ossi's benefit, as well as all onlookers.

You will often hear/read documentary-style photographers use the term, "The picture just all came together for a moment." when they talk about one of their own images that just worked really well. Ossi's image may be an example of the more common situation; a picture that didn't quite come together, probably no fault of Ossi's. The dog never moved into the frame, the men never exhibited gesture, Ossi couldn't get closer, etc. That's why we celebrate bodies of works (ex: HCB, Robert Franks, Helen Levitt, et.al.) composed of so many images where everything came together and the photographer managed to capture that split second.

If it was easy it wouldn't be celebrated.