• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Searching Alice

a737d6f057096c98b11b10b06a508da.jpg

Leica M6 & Hexanon 2.8/90
Fuji Acros

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
a737d6f057096c98b11b10b06a508da.jpg

Leica M6 & Hexanon 2.8/90
Fuji Acros
Cedric,

Is Alice from Alice in Wonderland or someone else? I am immediately taken by the composition. It's unusual to have a light blocked out space working against a subject placed in blackness like this. More often the black is on the other side of the image. Here the figure is stepping forth, seemingly pondering what has, is or will happen or the consequences. Only where his dark pants are shown against the lit ground are they defined. Otherwise that and his black hair met into the background of the unspecified and undescribed. The positions of his hair and his clothes are merely imagined.

The oblique lines divide up the picture so that the chest and head seem to float in the black medium as the legs move him forward with his thoughts.

Good job! I'm impressed. However, I'd like to see more in this style and wonder how you could find more to expand on this motif.

Asher

Hi Asher,

Indeed, title is a reference to the mirror of Alice in Wonderland, as the man seems to cross a border to another dimension.

Alas, i have only this picture to show, it was a quite instinctive and quick shot and others ones are bad. This particular roll of film has been very badly developped by my usual (and so former) lab, totally over-contrasted. I tried to save some pictures by exploring other style with very dark shadows...

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Hi Asher,

Indeed, title is a reference to the mirror of Alice in Wonderland, as the man seems to cross a border to another dimension.

Alas, i have only this picture to show, it was a quite instinctive and quick shot and others ones are bad. This particular roll of film has been very badly developped by my usual (and so former) lab, totally over-contrasted. I tried to save some pictures by exploring other style with very dark shadows...
Cedric,

I commend you on the good eye and serendipity of the bad processing. These coming together create for you a sorting of clarity which helps the effect. So, the task is now to purposely use these effects for new work.

Mind * Aaccident = Novel "Alice" effect

Plan= try to reproduce this in new work.

Asher