• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Yellowstone Raven Today

Jaime Johnson

041809-Raven-01y.jpg

f5.6
ISO 100
1/400

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Hi Jaime,

Is the raven really that blue? I hadn't realized. I guess, black is not really black in most natural materials. The blues is itself everything from cyans to almost purples. One can learn a lot seeing things so close. Could you show a few 100% crops of these beautiful colors?

Also a question; what was the background?

Asher

Andy brown

I'm just guessing here Asher but The raven's plumage is so reflective the blue is most likely from the sky. It's kind of incongruous to think about, black represents the absorption of all light but it can be highly reflective at the same time.

Gorgeous shot Jaime.

I've often been amazed when I take samples from clouds in shots I've taken just how much blue they can contain yet still appear as pure white.

Jaime Johnson

They really have that blue tint up close! Might be reflections - I'm not sure! This is actual image not cropped!

I ran into the same bird today - so I'll post another tomorrow (just got home from the park and have to get up early for work)!

500mm Canon / 1D Mark III
f5.6
ISO 100
1/400

J

Nice portrait!

I've noticed that other black birds (e.g. Grackles) will have a bluish/purplish iridescence in the sunlight, and I suspect that might be the case here as well.