• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Caught my eye

fahim mohammed

From some old files: I have strange feelings about this one. Of course, this is at the funeral pyre in
Nepal prior to the cremation:

p175985601.jpg

What are your thoughts?

Regards.

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Fahim,

The guy in the yellow lower left is presumably already passed and the yellow on the upper right? What's that that? Is that the previous pyre or the one for this new deceased?

Asher

fahim mohammed

Asher, left is being prepared for cremation, on the right is the previous pyre. It was the proximity to
the sign at the top of the image that seems to perplex me!

Regards.

Fahim,

The guy in the yellow lower left is presumably already passed and the yellow on the upper right? What's that that? Is that the previous pyre or the one for this new deceased?

Asher

I find it very intriguing indeed Fahim. Aesthetically it is very pleasing to the eye. No pun intended. The colors and textures and shadows are very nice as is the entire scene's composition. I find myself moving from one area of the image to another trying to take it all in.

That sign is actually the first thing I looked at and it makes one wonder just what goes on there and why. I would think that a cornea, like any other part, would need to be harvested (I always hated the use of that word in these instances) as soon after death as possible. This situation just does not seem to imply that at all. Now I will have something else to research in my spare time.

I like the image you have shown us. It is a very brief but powerful glimpse into a small speck of time in other people's lives. It shows some differences between my life and theirs but it also shows one glaring similarity. We all die sooner or later. Thanks for showing this.
James Newman

***corneas need to be excised within 8 hours after death of donor

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Asher, left is being prepared for cremation, on the right is the previous pyre. It was the proximity to
the sign at the top of the image that seems to perplex me!
Fahim,

My first reaction to that was that the company was getting the location that was cheapest to rent. This morning it immediately came to me as I opened the page! Y

es it's a bit sickening. I wonder, in the Hindi or Sikh traditions how soon one has to have the funeral rites. For Jews and Muslims it's pretty well that day if possible. So I wonder whether the corneas at that location would be fresh. Also, I'd suspect and harvesting done there as a source of fresh corneas. I'd imagine that poor folk would be especially susceptible to making decisions based on the payment they would receive rather than their values. Still, I find this a most socially helpful idea.

Asher