• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Just for fun - Hickory Bloom

Mike Spinak's recent narrow depth of field macro flower photo evidently worked its way into my m.o. as I stumbled through the underbrush of the Illinois River Valley region this morning. A light west breeze also pushed the use of an aperture on the wide side.

112033918.jpg

Canon 5D and 180mm macro at f 7.1 and available light. The brand new leaf in the front was the subject, and everything else sort of wound up where it wound up.

Tom

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Mike Spinak's recent narrow depth of field macro flower photo evidently worked its way into my m.o. as I stumbled through the underbrush of the Illinois River Valley region this morning. A light west breeze also pushed the use of an aperture on the wide side.

112033918.jpg

Canon 5D and 180mm macro at f 7.1 and available light. The brand new leaf in the front was the subject, and everything else sort of wound up where it wound up.
Tom,

This is truly amazing to see layers of plant leaves that mimic the apposition of embroided fabrics of the courts of the Spanish royalty on nobles at the time of Christopher Columbus. This is delightful.

This missing sepal? I'd just paint it in, but I have no qualms. Mike likely is to honest! I'd also add more space around the entire plant. Massive space!

Asher

Thanks for the comments, guys,

112042820.jpg

Another narrow d.o.f. version, taken from a slightly different angle at f 6.3, includes the entire subject. As you can see, the section of pod missing from the original is included here. It's kind of ragged looking to me, which is why it was omitted from the original version.

As usual, I've got a lot of variations on this subject, just to cover the bases.

Asher, Hickory leaves are among the most beautiful, in my opinion. The fresh ones aren't very different looking from their end of cycle version in autumn:

102440576.jpg

Tom