• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Mallard

Jaime Johnson

050309-Mallardy.jpg

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Jaime,

I love this picture with the eruption of water from the bird's thrust to become airborne and continue its movement over the water and towards the sky. In these cases, we want more space for this idea to continue. For this reason, I'd always shoot an adjacent shot to stitch to the first. In fact, this is so special that I'd steal the material from other shots and build the width my 50% of the current width, at least.

This is a great image and you can present it, therefore, with more of a flourish. This is not for a compact identification image in a birding book. This is life! A creature gets into the air! It's really a wonderful photograph and I would like it to be even more enchanting and spectacular.

As an unabashed admirer of nature, when you "ace it", it as you have done, show it off with all the pizazz you can muster! Don't be conservative. This is something amazing happening! So having more ripples and then still water at the origin of the flight would enhance the drama and sudden disruption of the calm surface by this birds will to fly!

Asher

Also the spray seems rather over blue or it could be my wife's unprofile iMac, LOL!

Mike Spinak

pro member
I like this shot.

I don't entirely agree with Asher's suggestion for more space in front. Adding more space in front is a valid option, but so is leaving it as is. To my point of view, they would be two different compositions, with two different meanings.

As is, the mallard's head close to the edge of the frame strengthens the message that the bird is suddenly leaving – which works for me.