• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Hummingbirds tonight -

Jaime Johnson

051109-Hummingbird-02.jpg

051109-Hummingbird.jpg

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Utterly balanced.... I love it!

and Jaime, what's the setup as far as getting that second one?

Asher

Jaime Johnson

Awesome shots...#2 is spectacular!! Settings on that last one?

Eric,

I usually screw around until I get some decent shots of the hummingbirds. But, to be honest - I really don't understand why some work. I set my canera up with the 300mm and the 580exII speedlight. If I use the high speed sync, the pictures are dark (even withthe better beamer). I try different f stops... blah blah...

For some reason, if I shoot f8 at 1/300th with the speedlight, they seem to work the best...

We hav a ton of hummingbirds right now... I have to get busy.... I've been a slug since the weekend of rattlesnakes..

Jaime Johnson

It's strange - we live in a really small town in Montana - elevation about 4500 feet.

We seem to get tons of hummingbirds. We have several feeders out. I think I might have posted this before, but here is a picture from last year.

052108-Hummer-02.jpg

I am using a similar setup this year, except I'm using the 300mm at the corner of the deck (closer).

I've put tape on the feeder spouts that are directly facing me (to guide the birds to the ones that will work best for photos.

If you have any ideas on settings with my 1D Mark III abd Canon 580EX II speedlight, let me know. I'd be glad to give them a try -

Regarding flash:

Hi-speed synch enables you to use your flash at shutter speeds faster than the usual synch speed (I'm guessing that of the 1DMkIII is 1/250 or 1/300 second). The cost is that for each stop faster than the synch speed, you lose the power and reach of your flash by about 1/3.

So let's say the normal synch speed is 1/250. If you shoot at 1/500, you're at about 66% of the flashes normal power. If you're at 1/1000 second, you lose a third of that, so you're at about 44% of original power, etc.

The wider the aperture, and the higher the ISO, the more effective your flash will be, and the greater the reach.

So how it all comes together will depend on the distance to your subject, along with the other settings mentioned. The Better Beamer will focus the flash and throw it further than usual, but still has to work within the constraints of the variables above.

Hope this helps!