• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Hummingbird

Jaime Johnson

Tonight and last night.

052209-HummingbirdY.jpg

Eric Diller

Love it!!! Fantastic photo...black background really sets this photo off!!

One of the best Hummingbird photos I have ever seen!!

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
What would I give for this sight in my garden!

052209-HummingbirdY.jpg

Jaime Johnson Hummingbird

I bought a feeder, but no birds came!

Asher

Cem_Usakligil

Jaime I see artifacts, hard edges and bursh trails around the bird in the black background (some blacks are more black than the others, lol). It seems as if the bird was pasted using photoshop onto the picture of the flower. Or did you try to remove some distracting bg elements around the bird and have done a quick & dirty job in PS perhaps? Just an observation...

The plot thickens!

This turns out to be a computer/technical question for me.

Even after the last 2 posts, I've looked at the original photo, and just can't see anything but uniform blackness around the hummingbird. I thought perhaps my monitor wasn't up to the task, and was really perplexed.

I then copied it from my browser (IE7) and pasted it into a new image in Photoshop, and instantly the evidence was seen, and I mean instantly! It was obvious there.

I went back to IE7, even magnified the image there, going to 400%, looked at the precise areas that had gross abnormalities in PS, and still couldn't see anything but homogenous black!

So this brings up something I wasn't aware of - IE7 (Windows 64-bit Ultimate) is definitely showing the images differently. I was aware it wasn't properly color managed, but not showing full tonality was unexpected!

Is this a known issue I was unaware of? Cem - what browser are you using?

A very interesting, and definitely disturbing finding....

Alain Briot

pro member
Don,

Not all browsers are color managed. In fact, most are not. CS4 with the correct settings and a carefully profiled monitor is the best way to view an image for what it really is in regards to color and contrast.

Hi Alain,

Don,

Not all browsers are color managed. In fact, most are not. CS4 with the correct settings and a carefully profiled monitor is the best way to view an image for what it really is in regards to color and contrast.

The lack of color management in my web browser I was aware of, so I don't expect colors and hues to be right on the money.

But it was the fact that the tonality was completely so masked/obscured by IE7 that surprised me. That came as a shock.

It thus makes me curious - what browsers are people using, and do you see the obvious evidence of the copy/paste in this image in that browser??

Jaime Johnson

Whenever I want to see if it is modified, I just grab a copy and open it with whatever you use (I use CS4). Once open - just overbrighten it a ton and watch what shows up!

Cem_Usakligil

...Is this a known issue I was unaware of? Cem - what browser are you using?...
Sorry Don for the late answer. I use multiple browsers, the main one being the Opera. But I had to replace it recently with Firefox since I now have a large gamut LCD monitor and surfing with non-color managed browsers is horrible (as far as pictures are concerned).

I haven't discovered this issue due to a web browser but by accidentally surfing to the picture on a laptop which is does not have the right gamma settings. It was too light and then the problem was immediately visible.

Sorry Don for the late answer. I use multiple browsers, the main one being the Opera. But I had to replace it recently with Firefox since I now have a large gamut LCD monitor and surfing with non-color managed browsers is horrible (as far as pictures are concerned).

I haven't discovered this issue due to a web browser but by accidentally surfing to the picture on a laptop which is does not have the right gamma settings. It was too light and then the problem was immediately visible.

Thanks for the reply, Cem. I'll have to take a look at this on my Laptop, where I have Firefox installed as well as IE7. I'll be curious to see if there are any differences apparent.

John Sheehy

Jaime I see artifacts, hard edges and bursh trails around the bird in the black background (some blacks are more black than the others, lol). It seems as if the bird was pasted using photoshop onto the picture of the flower. Or did you try to remove some distracting bg elements around the bird and have done a quick & dirty job in PS perhaps? Just an observation...

A lot of people forget that blurring the background can remove all noise - no noise at all is a huge problem! Especially when you go to JPEG, and the compression algorithm tries to simplify it, and posterizes it in solid blocks. Always add a tiny bit of gaussian noise to an image after blurring backgrounds, before saving as JPEG.