• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Model Lia fantasy makeup.

Michael Knapp

Here is some recent work I did with a new model. I used a 48 inch round silver reflector as a backdrop.

I am posting a variety of lighting set ups so I would like to know which ones work.

Michael-k

3563213131_477eccb4f7_b.jpg

3564028760_65ab450556_o.jpg

3564028358_9c183210d8_o.jpg

3564027894_6fa933d96c_o.jpg

SOOC, lighting and PP is wysiwyg I used adobe Bridge RAW converter only

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Michael,

I like experimenting with make up too. What of the clothes? What are you planning for that?

The first two, should they be vertical? Thr last two seem correct. Also could you post 4 small images so they can be seen with white space around them.

What about the texture of the chin? Are you going to work on that? The shadow on the right neck and right chin seem a bit off putting but not a serious issue. Why did you select that lighting or is this just an error and part of a fun session experimenting with the new look?

Asher

Michael Knapp

Michael,

I like experimenting with make up too. What of the clothes? What are you planning for that?

The first two, should they be vertical? Thr last two seem correct. Also could you post 4 small images so they can be seen with white space around them.

What about the texture of the chin? Are you going to work on that? The shadow on the right neck and right chin seem a bit off putting but not a serious issue. Why did you select that lighting or is this just an error and part of a fun session experimenting with the new look?

Asher
Thanks for the critique or the question/critique. I posted sooc, I don't know why I did, first impressions are lasting. Anyhow this is what a PP edit would look like. I take it from the silence is golden rule that my work must stink. The lighting was as intended, except the shadow across her neck is my calf I was shooting over her. It personally doesn't bother me, in the fully edited version. I am happy with your comments and want to listen to critique, it is up to the artist to either except or reject, it nevertheless does not diminishes the critique, it is still valid.

My clients bring what they have as far as clothes go.

I cater to the teenage market, and the reason why is this:

I am a single dad, I have a beautiful 15 year old daughter. Allow me a brief brag if you will, as a proud dad. The state champion club soccer organization just had to replace two players and my daughter was one of them. Wow how cool!

Back on point, one night about 8 months ago, when we were all shell shocked about our long term investments..... my daughter is just hammering me on new clothes, new clothes.............., my cat is whining in the back ground wanting a treat....... meow, meow, meow........., I was chuckling at how a sales person could learn everything they needed to know by just casually if not intent observation from both of them...

It dawned on me there and then that:

a. My cat knew it was just a matter of time, not taking the first no is what he taught me.
b. My daughter also knew that a carefully prepared and continuous none stop champagne, with moments of drama and the none stop "DAd when are you going to decide?" Then I say "what part of no didn't you get?" Then the drama starts. Right then and there I knew I was going to start marketing to that generation, my sales are off the chart, I haven't stopped shooting new clients. These kids want it they want it now and they don't stop asking mom and dad. Ta da!

Any help or advise is welcome.

Michael-k

3565339328_5bef153e5e_o.jpg

3557354928_de5bbfc8dd_o.jpg

This is the same girl, with a glam look.

Asher Kelman

Hi Michael,

I like your story and it's exciting to find a good market for your photography. Kudos for the initiative. One needs to exploit every opportunity and also listen to the experts, such as your daughter!

This was the long memorial day weekend with folks visiting family, barbecues and catching up on Z's. So don't think the lack of comment reflects anything but that. For every 20 views, there's only one comment. Think of how many pictures you yourself look at but you haven't commented on, for example Bart and Cem's pictures from the old Village!

I like what you are doing. Just be careful about the shadows and of course have a parent with you. Little kids can sometimes misunderstand a direction, glance or question and it's best to be cautious and protective. But, of course you already know that.

Who is doing the printing? You give then a file or you have them posted and they order with a printing company doing the delivery.

Good luck and share more!

Asher

Michael Knapp

Hi Michael,

I like your story and it's exciting to find a good market for your photography. Kudos for the initiative. One needs to exploit every opportunity and also listen to the experts, such as your daughter!

This was the long memorial day weekend with folks visiting family, barbecues and catching up on Z's. So don't think the lack of comment reflects anything but that. For every 20 views, there's only one comment. Think of how many pictures you yourself look at but you haven't commented on, for example Bart and Cem's pictures from the old Village!

I like what you are doing. Just be careful about the shadows and of course have a parent with you. Little kids can sometimes misunderstand a direction, glance or question and it's best to be cautious and protective. But, of course you already know that.

Who is doing the printing? You give then a file or you have them posted and they order with a printing company doing the delivery.

Good luck and share more!

Asher

Very true about the views, and comments, you know how sensitive a artist can be:).

It has taken about 5 years to get the Studio to support us. To that degree we have become quite good at certain thing, and the ability to create a market has been a blessing.

What I do is:

I have spokes persons that are current customers, or are super popular, that have portfolio albums, of themselves, when they get a lead I go to the parents, via the phone and invite the perspective model and their parent (s) to my studio (my home), big red flag, photographer male, big red flag, so to know this as I would if my daughter asked me if she could get photos done, (are you crazy!) "no way!" "Would you talk to him at least?" "oh yeah I wanna talk to him...." This is a standard response.

Just as in a critique, or when showing your life's work to someone, you can't take protecting your family personal, I had a big huge truck driver come with his daughter in fact this girl, and he was so sure I was some kinda scum! But the fact is I am not a predator, I am a photographer, from the moment you walk in. This is a studio where my daughter and I happen to life. I have a huge entry hall, with with nine different 30 x 40's beautifully assembled, as the client walks in to their Right is the first shooting bay, the main bay, there is 50k plus in equipment, backdrops, lights......

Then the tour continues into the family room and dinning room, where another 8 or more large canvases, paintings (painter X, then printed, stretched, and hand painted gesso, these sell from $1,500 - $3,500, depending), This is where the large format printers are, an Epson 7800, and a Epson 4800, along with a two tower, raid arrayed processors, double screen monitor, one of which is the Wacom Cintqu 22".

This is where the attitude better stop, I have no problem telling a parent to be careful is one thing, but for me to have to wear a black eye for all the crimes that have been committed by a GWC (guy with camera) (s), is quite another. I don't say it with an attitude, but by this time if I haven't established myself as a true professional, and there is still a concern, I again reiterate that at no time can your daughter or son be alone with me, you must be with them at all times.....

I will save the sale speech and cut to the chase... I explain then and there that before we go any further I need to decide if I want to work with this prospect... I have turned clients down I am charging $575.00 with makeup artist, 2 looks a glam and fantasy, and a fully edited CD with my logo and the MUA, full resolution and internet resolution, this is a lot of money and before they spend a nickle we are doing a test shoot, the model needs to be looking good, and ready to shoot, I ask them a few questions and get them to strike at least 3 easy poses, if they can't do that and be comfortable they will hate the photo shoot, tell everyone I stink instead of the truth, and they make lousy spokes persons, if they work here the sale is assured and I will spare you the details...

Thank you Asher

Michael-k

Asher Kelman

So you give them a high resolution file for them to print as much as they wish? How many do you provide?

Asher

Michael Knapp

Since they are all advertizing for me and will be posted all over cyber space I give as many good shots as I get, one girl got about 150, but most get 50-75.

Asher Kelman

50-75, are those just web sized or the large files?

Seems like a massive give away! To give 4-5 and the rest, websized would be more reasonable!

Michael Knapp

50-75, are those just web sized or the large files?

Seems like a massive give away! To give 4-5 and the rest, websized would be more reasonable!

Now you make me stop and think? (thumb to chin) I will stew over it for a couple of days an see what perks from that.

Thanks Asher

Michael-k