• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Just for Fun No C&C will be given: From Hanoi

doug anderson

Hello folks. I haven't been around for a while. Lately I've been scanning negatives from photography several years old and finding some keepers. Here's one from my trip to Vietnam in January of 2000.

548063113_aWnBn-L.jpg

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Snorrrrrr....
I was puzzled by the "Snorr" remark and was going to rise in your defense against such a rude remark. Only then did I realize you had made a protest yourself!

Well, I did see the picture earlier on and had my family look. I felt it was one of the most important pictures you have shown. In fact, this is an exceptional picture.

I'm very impressed. The picture shows the prosperity of the society in that a new scooter was affordable and the fecundity of the society to sort of make up for those lost in the wars. The determined face and the breast showing through her shirt gives the woman the appearance of a Stalinistic, greater than life artistic poster, missing only a giant hammer and sickle banner being thrust though the air of Hanoi for all to marvel at in pride.

I hope there's more!

Please don't judge the reaction by the reaction. The silent majority I'm sure appreciates this work as much as I do. However, such photography is exceptionally risky to critique as one can fear getting oneself into political hot water or worse, ridiculed. I'm somewhat beyond that!

Asher

Kathy Rappaport

pro member
Back in the 60's they'd have been on a non-motorized bike borrowed from who knows where. I wonder how colorful this is in real life. A moped as a 5 passenger vehicle. No, not boring. It tells a story beautifully.

Wonderful that you were able to go visit.

doug anderson

Back in the 60's they'd have been on a non-motorized bike borrowed from who knows where. I wonder how colorful this is in real life. A moped as a 5 passenger vehicle. No, not boring. It tells a story beautifully.

Wonderful that you were able to go visit.

This is a common sight in Hanoi -- a whole family on a motorbike. Occasionally, you'll see an actual car trying to negotiate the narrow streets, like a Junebug trying to make it through an anthill.

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
A Picture Worthy of Comment!

Hello folks. I haven't been around for a while. Lately I've been scanning negatives from photography several years old and finding some keepers. Here's one from my trip to Vietnam in January of 2000.

548063113_aWnBn-L.jpg

Doug Anderson: From Hanoi

Although over 450 registered OPF photographers here have viewed this picture, there are few comments. Why? Is the quality intimidating or it reminds you of an era we'd like to forget or what?

I would like to bring this fine picture to your attention. Yes, it might be a common scene in Hanoi, but this is, at least to me, an iconic picture. I think it is worthy of study. What do you think? Am I over-sentimental or is this more significant as I claim it to be?

Asher