• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Monofilament Blues

John Sheehy

I've seen photos here of birds like Great Blue Herons tangled in monofilament or actually hooked. I know that there is a limited time and place for creature on this planet, but premature endings due to human interaction are certainly not needed.

While walking around a local lake a few weeks ago, I looked through an opening in the bushes, and saw a small mudflat with several birds on it, so I stopped. I looked at them and realized they were swallows, which usually don't spend a lot of time on the ground. 4 of the 6 birds immediately flew away, and two remained. Then, one of the two, after eying me, left also. I was left with one swallow, who had one wing raised a bit. I took a photo, and then I I zoomed into the review, and noticed that the bird was wrapped in monofilament. I gently approached the bird on the mud flat, and tried to grab it, but it had enough freedom to avoid me, so I gently pulled on the line itself. The horror of a hook entered my head, but I saw that two strands were leaving the bird. I held the bird and tried to unravel the line, but it was stuck in the wing somehow, so I used my canines to cut the line, and pulled it out. I held the bird in the palm of my hand, but it just looked at me, instead of taking off. It was so cute, I didn't mind it hanging around, but I feared that it was harmed more than I thought. I gently put it back on the mudflat, and about a minute later its comrades flew by, making calls, and my little friend took off like a rocket and rejoined them.

At least one happy ending.

original.jpg

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
John,

This is a great story. But how did it get the filament? Was it from a fishing hook? Was it in just the wing or the chest too?

Asher

John Sheehy

John,

This is a great story. But how did it get the filament? Was it from a fishing hook? Was it in just the wing or the chest too?

I feared it was hooked, but it had a loop running around it about three times, once through the wing which wouldn't come out the way it went in, which is why I had to cut it with my teeth.