• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Posting rules

Doug Kerr

Hi, Asher,

Today, 2009.06.02 CE (Sivan 10, 5769 A.H.), you wrote:

The Current Rules for posting!
Greetings!

We are experts, working pros, artists and enthusiast hobbyists! So how do we make this work?

1. Post 1-4 related images. Your very best! (Don't only link to your site).

2. See if you can find an existing thread.

3. Introduce your images. Is there a question?

4. Give feedback too!

Thanks so much!
Our purpose is getting to an impressive photograph. So we encourage browsing and then feedback. Consider a link to your galleries annotated, C&C welcomed. Images posted within OPF are assumed to be for Comment & Critique, unless otherwise designated.

Very concise. I'm impressed.

Doe this apply to all forum "compartments"?

Best regards,

Doug

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Unless there's some good reason.

I'd rather that we now get back to post pictures as discussion of rules is a PIA! That's also why I simply deleted the prior discussion and made a closed thread, LOL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Soon as people get used to this, I'll delete this too unless there is some new idea that's pressing.

:)

Asher

Doug Kerr

Hi, Asher,

Unless there's some good reason.
Oh, well, I was just thinking about a new technical article on a topic that might be of interest to some here. So I guess that is out, per se.

But it has 4 images in it. Maybe I could just post those, and explain them. "Carla stands beside the multiplexer cabinet, her hat symbolizing the concept of style in any setting. The long shadows of a June afternoon evoke an earlier time, when . . .. Something deep within me yearned for a neutral density filter - or perhaps it was only my exacerbated languor that led me to eschew a change to high-speed sync mode on my trusty Speedlite 580EX II. If only Canon had put that button a centimeter lower. Oh God - is there no end to man's continuing inhumanity to man?"

Best regards,

Doug

Rachel Foster

LMAO! Doug, you're a character for sure. "My exacerbated languor that led me to eschew a change to high-speed sync mode" is as good as a line I delivered to the local school board in a recent speech: "On occasion a truly gifted teacher rises above this miasma of mandated mediocrity and educates in spite of the plethora of roadblocks erected by politicians, school administrators attempting to conform to dictates, and even by parents."

Love it!

Cem_Usakligil

Hi, Asher,

Today, 2009.06.02 CE (Sivan 10, 5769 A.H.), you wrote:

Very concise. I'm impressed.

Doe this apply to all forum "compartments"?

Best regards,

Doug
Hi Doug,

I think that these are generally applicable guidelines (I prefer using the word guidelines rather than rules) when one is posting pictures in various fora. But if one is posting a technical question about color management for instance, then I don't think that these would apply as such.

Cheers,

Kathy Rappaport

pro member
Let's go shoot

Gee if we all left to go shooting there'd be no time to discuss anything.

Bye. Gotta go polish my lenses (no, I am not leaving...tongue in cheek)

Doug Kerr

Hi, Cem,

Hi Doug,

I think that these are generally applicable guidelines (I prefer using the word guidelines rather than rules) when one is posting pictures in various fora.
A set of guidelines would have been useful. But the boss presented these clearly labeled as rules.

My very point is that I would have preferred a little thoughtful qualification as to what the "rules" applied to.

But perhaps the intent was exactly what the words said, and that the presentation of photographs for critique, and the ensuing critique, are the only recognized business of this institution.

Best regards,

Doug

Cem_Usakligil

Hi, Cem,

A set of guidelines would have been useful. But the boss presented these clearly labeled as rules.

My very point is that I would have preferred a little thoughtful qualification as to what the "rules" applied to.

But perhaps the intent was exactly what the words said, and that the presentation of photographs for critique, and the ensuing critique, are the only recognized business of this institution.

Best regards,

Doug
I can guarantee you on behalf of Asher and Nicolas that this isn't so.

Cem_Usakligil

.....But perhaps the intent was exactly what the words said, and that the presentation of photographs for critique, and the ensuing critique, are the only recognized business of this institution.

I can guarantee you on behalf of Asher and Nicolas that this isn't so.
Hi Doug,

The more I think about this discussion and its now deceased predecessor from the last couple of days, the more flabbergasted I get. In all honesty I cannot imagine how in the world a very involved and senior member of OPF as yourself can even consider making the statement you've made above. If it is about playing with semantics or just teasing us, fine, I can live with that. But seriously speaking, the division of fora and sub-fora underneath the forum home page and the contents of all the past threads make it instantly obvious to any visitor that "the presentation of photographs for critique, and the ensuing critique, are NOT the only recognized businesses of this institution". It says on our home page:
[FONT=Verdana, Helvetica, Arial]Welcome to OPF![/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana, Helvetica, Arial]We established OPF May 2006 as an open forum for professional and enthusiast photographers worldwide. You will find the latest discussions on technology, creativity, function and other issues related to photography. Furthermore, these threads are moderated and reviewed by expert photographers.

[/FONT]
We are a true community of photographers with real names and common interests and experience. OPF is a community of thinkers and doers, dedicated to the working Professional and the creative mind.

OPF members hail from the Americas and Europe but also in China, Iran, India New Zealand, Australia, UAE and many other places I have not visited and to me are exotic with images I learned form books and films.

At OPF, we consider the whole thin membrane of life on the planet and the lives of individual lovers and the humming bird our frame of reference. This is true whether we photograph skyscrapers or school sports, weddings or yachts at sea and we do all this and more!

We want to reach out, not because we are politically correct; I am not! Rather we would like to be updated, educated and brought into line with issues that you think about.

Still we also nurture the dedicated photographer learning the digital workflow or making a Polaroid or Platinum print. Above all we are concerned with what is in the image, not just the things, but also the ideas, feelings and even life itself.

Please make this your home and post in the forums of your choosing. On behalf the entire OPF photography team, I wish you a great forum experience. Thank you for your participation, interest and for being here. Jump in and show us what you love! What you have trouble with too!

[FONT=Verdana, Helvetica, Arial]We’re open to everyone serious about the best, the practical and the finest in photography. Our goal is to enhance the discussion and exchange of ideas on photography.[/FONT]

Here there’s more; we have left the noise ands clatter of the 100’s of new cameras of the day. Here we're dedicated to that personal vision built into your extraordinary picture. This we call an “Arc of Intent”. Its appreciation by a viewer completes that creative arc. That's what we are about and every technique and choice that achieves our goal! Then your picture enthralls and captivates, moves and demands it be revisited time and again.

Asher Kelman
By now, I am starting to get the feeling that we are just discussing for the sake of discussion itself. As Kathy said, I'll go polish my lenses and stay away from discussions for a while. Perhaps it is time for me to pass the baton on to a fresh moderator who can cope with all this....

Rachel Foster

CEM! Please, please, please do not! The internet world is comprised of people with hundreds and hundreds of different needs, expression styles, motivations, life circumstances, you-name-it. Moderating is a tough job for anyone. I previously owned a small chat board (less than 100 people) and found it draining. The thing is, in spite of all the differences, we on OPF get a lot out of it. No one will escape without an occasional feather ruffling and that's to be expected considering both the diversity of posters and lack of visual/interpersonal cues and other elements that characterize face-to-face relationships and encounters.

So, Cem, PLEASE....don't take it personally, take a deep breath, and when you're ready, please return as the Cem-Mod we all know and love.

Doug Kerr

Hi, Rachel,
CEM! Please, please, please do not! The internet world is comprised of people with hundreds and hundreds of different needs, expression styles, motivations, life circumstances, you-name-it. Moderating is a tough job for anyone. I previously owned a small chat board (less than 100 people) and found it draining. The thing is, in spite of all the differences, we on OPF get a lot out of it. No one will escape without an occasional feather ruffling and that's to be expected considering both the diversity of posters and lack of visual/interpersonal cues and other elements that characterize face-to-face relationships and encounters.

So, Cem, PLEASE....don't take it personally, take a deep breath, and when you're ready, please return as the Cem-Mod we all know and love.
Well said!

Asher Kelman

It's easy folks, Cem rightly wants to see our engaging pictures and ideas on photography questions, not instead, debate rules. That's why I replaced one whole thread with just 4 succinct guidelines and then closed discussion, I thought LOL! :)

Thanks,

Asher

Hi all,

As we say in France : "on se calme et on boit frais à Saint-Tropez"

Nicolas will appreciate the value of this citation...

Regards,

Cedric.

Asher Kelman

• impressive pictures
  • ideas on photography questions
  • Thus support, amuse and energize one another to deliver superb photographs
  • make a positive impact on folks around us in happiness, productivity, values and hope.

What hard to understand? But you all knew this long ago!

Asher

Cem_Usakligil

• impressive pictures
  • ideas on photography questions
  • Thus support, amuse and energize one another to deliver superb photographs
  • make a positive impact on folks around us in happiness, productivity, values and hope.

What hard to understand? But you all knew this long ago!

Asher
Hi Asher,

My understanding of OPF is that it is an open forum where all can learn from each other. This means that we cannot only have impressive pictures. Of course I know we prefer quality before quantity -who wouldn't?- but it has never ever been an actual selection criteria. We have never screened posted pictures or rejected them except for in one special forum called the human form as art. But I am afraid that 99% of the folks seeing such qualifiers will be not feel free to post their pictures here afterwards. That is not what we want to achieve, is it?

Furthermore, we shall keep on supporting each other not for the sole purpose of delivering superb images but simply because we are helpful and supportive people regardless of the context, are we not?

Just my Euro 0.02

Jim Galli

For all you guys and gals polishing your lenses.............STOP IT! Eventually all lenses end up at my house via Ebay and we don't need the ones with polish marks.

Kathy Rappaport

pro member
Polishing

The only reason I am polishing lenses and not posting is because I have so much processing to do these days and I am behind trying to get all caught up, keep my existing clients happy which in turn pays rent and seeking new clients. It's a good thing. Whether or not you know it but you all keep me focused.

nicolas claris

OPF Co-founder/Administrator
Hi all,

As we say in France : "on se calme et on boit frais à Saint-Tropez"

Nicolas will appreciate the value of this citation...

Regards,

Cedric.

LoL! exactly my thinking, reading this thread as I come back from 4 days shoot in Marseille.

You guys get to much nervous when I leave! Un petit verre de rosé (frais) fera du bien à tous !

nicolas claris

It's easy folks, Cem rightly wants to see our engaging pictures and ideas on photography questions, not instead, debate rules. That's why I replaced one whole thread with just 4 succinct guidelines and then closed discussion, I thought LOL! :)

Thanks,

Asher

Too bad my friend Asher that you deleted Ken's post, as I remember reading it at my hotel on the Iphone (hard hardware to surf internet BTW!) it was one of the very best and simple advice I did read… (Cem, I said "one of"… ;-)

Less rules, some guidelines, less borders, more self discipline and the world is ours: OPEN (PF)

Cem_Usakligil

Too bad my friend Asher that you deleted Ken's post, as I remember reading it at my hotel on the Iphone (hard hardware to surf internet BTW!) it was one of the very best and simple advice I did read… (Cem, I said "one of"… ;-)

Less rules, some guidelines, less borders, more self discipline and the world is ours: OPEN (PF)
Ken wrote something along the lines (I cite from my memory as I don't have a copy of it):
Deal with general issues generally, and deal with specific issues individually and privately

nicolas claris

Champagne. Dry, cold, and now!

That's fine too!

Some 30 years ago (so I doubt Cedric can remember…), a French singer Jacques Higelin did sing:
"Champagne pour tout le monde, Caviar pour les autres"

A quite strange wording (almost impossible -at least to me- to translate) but seems appropriate to this discussion.

La nuit promet d'être belle
Car voici qu'au fond du ciel
Apparaît la lune rousse
Saisi d'une sainte frousse
Tout le commun des mortels croit voir le diable à ses trousses

Valets volages et vulgaires, ouvrez mon sarcophage
Et vous pages pervers courrez au cimetière
Prévenez de ma part mes amis nécrophage
Que ce soir nous sommes attendus dans les marécages

Voici mon message
Cauchemars, fantômes et squelettes, laissez flotter vos idées noires
Près de la mare aux oubliettes, tenue du suaire obligatoire

Lutins, lucioles, feux-follets, elfes, faunes et farfadets
Effraient mes grands carnassiers
Une muse un peu dodue me dit d'un air entendu vous auriez pu vous raser
Comme je lui fais remarquer deux trois pendus attablés
Qui sont venus sans cravate
Elle me lance un oeil hagard et vomit sans crier gare quelques vipères écarlates

Vampires éblouis par de lubriques vestales
Egeries insatiables chevauchant des Walkyries
Infernal appétit de frénésie bachanale
Qui charment nos âmes envahies par la mélancolie
Satyres joufflus, boucs émissaires, gargouilles émues, fières gorgones
Laissez ma couronne aux sorcières et mes chimères à la licorne

Soudain les arbres frisonnent car Lucifer en personne
Fait une courte apparition, l'air tellement acablé
Qu'on lui donnerait volontiers le bon Dieu sans confession
S'il ne laissait malicieux, courir le bout de sa queue
Devant ses yeux maléfiques et ne se dressait d'un bond
Dans un concert de jurons, disant d'un ton pathétique
Que les damnés obcènes cyniques et corrompus
Fassent griefs de leur peine à ceux qu'ils ont élus
Car devant tant de problèmes et de malentendus
Les dieux et les diables en sont venus à douter d'eux-mêmes
Dédain suprême

Mais déjà le ciel blanchit, esprits je vous remercie
De m'avoir si bien reçu
Cocher lugubre et bossu déposez moi au manoir
Et lâchez le crucifix
Décrochez moi ces gousses d'ail qui déshonnorent mon portail
Et me chercher sans retard
L'ami qui soigne et guérit la folie qui m'accompagne
Et jamais ne me trahit, champagne

album200-3443.jpg

Jacques Higelin

Listen: http://musique.fnac.com/a1948463/Ja...-les-autres-Nouvelle-edition-CD-album#ecoutes

Cem_Usakligil

That's fine too!

Some 30 years ago (so I doubt Cedric can remember…), a French singer Jacques Higelin did sing:
"Champagne pour tout le monde, Caviar pour les autres"

A quite strange wording (almost impossible -at least to me- to translate) but seems appropriate to this discussion.
This is what translate.google.com makes of the lyrics:

The night promises to be beautiful
For behold the deep space
The moon appears red
When a holy fright
All the common people think they see the devil on her heels

Jacks fickle and vulgar, open my sarcophagus
Perverse pages and you run to the cemetery
Notify me of my friends necrophagous
That tonight we are expected in the swamps

Here is my message
Nightmares, ghosts and skeletons, let your thoughts float black
Near the pond to oblivion, from mandatory shroud

Elves, fireflies, lamps follets, elves, fauns and elves
Frighten my big predators
A slightly plump muse tells me to look you could have heard you shave
As I point out two three hanged attablés
Which came without a tie
She launches a haggard look and vomit without warning some scarlet snake

Vampires dazzled by lustful vestal
Egerie insatiable riding Valkyries
Infernal frenzy bachanale appetite
Charm our souls invaded by melancholy
Satyrs chubby-cheeked, scapegoats, gargoyles moved, proud gorgons
Let my crown and my witch chimères to licorne

Suddenly the trees frisonnent as Lucifer himself
Made a short appearance, looked so acablé
That he would welcome the good God without confession
If left malicious, run the tip of its tail
Evil before his eyes and stood not a leap
In a concert of swearing, saying in a tone pathetic
That damned obcènes cynical and corrupt
Make complaints of their sentences to those they have elected
Because the face of such problems and misunderstandings
The gods and the devils have come to doubt themselves
Supreme disdain

But already the sky whitens, minds thank you
Me so well received
Check lugubre hunchback and drop me at mansion
And release the crucifix
Pick me these cloves garlic déshonnorent that my portal
And me without delay
The friend who cares and heals the madness with me
And never betray me, champagne

Great song! :)

janet Smith

pro member
A quite strange wording (almost impossible -at least to me- to translate) but seems appropriate to this discussion

I shall never drink champagne again without thinking of this song LOL! No wonder you didn't want to translate it, it has to be the biggest load of verbal diarrhoea I've ever come across! Thanks Cem for the translation - priceless!!