• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Sweetly Pink Innocent

Charlotte Thompson

A flower bud on the patio this morning- I like the soft feel to the shot -very very little ps work on a tad more light- I am learning the art of this close up work on flowers and really enjoy the challenge! so say what'cha gotta say-I am ready and willing to read with open arms-
Charlotte-

DSC_0009-3.jpg

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Hi Charlotte,

One has to be there to get the full feeling you expres in words. So for you it can work powerfully as you have a boost from your memory of how you were moved by it's beauty in that setting at that time.

I don't get this satisfaction from the picture. No evoking of feelings I'm happy to experience, none at all!

For an opening rose, the petals involved in opening, I would think, at least on first blush, would need to be defined. I think one critical petal, (on the right), might already have been lost from the bloom, at least that's how it seems. Perhaps it's the angle chosen that gives this impression. As a bud, it's too open and as an opening bud, there's no energy or sense of expectation.

Then the composition of the rose within the b.g. is not pleasing to me. There is no belonging of one part with another and no conflict either. It's just untidy.

I hope you like this for at least attempting to define how I feel and I don't intend this as being negative.

Asher

Charlotte Thompson

Asher

those are your honest educated opinions- the flower or bud isn't exactly a "what one would call a perfect shot" I agree also I do understand there is "no perfection"
I will work on another bud because I have a clay pot of these flowers
I did like the softness - but I do agree
it needs more definition- as now it could be looked at as a bit impressionistic in nature as a new sort of soft awakening in innocence"
thanks for your opinions "I do value them"

Charlotte-

Charlotte Thompson

these I call- Sea Shell Bouquet- exactly where the flowers fell on the shells-
same flower as above which btw I forgot to tellAsher this is not a rose but Impatients" very delicate smal flower
hard for me to catch the new bloom before opened-
one in bandw and one in color
comments and crits very welcomed-
Charlotte-

DSC_0002-5.jpg

DSC_0004-1.jpg

janet Smith

pro member
I am learning the art of this close up work on flowers and really enjoy the challenge! so say what'cha gotta say-I am ready and willing to read with open arms-

Hi Charlotte

We share an interest in tiny delicate flowers, as you know I photograph them as often as I can, although recently I've had little time for flower work being too busy with Scottish landscapes.

Anyway, just a couple of tips that you may not have thought of, I often plant my favourite flowers in pots so that I can move them to a position in the garden where I can get good separation from the background, so you're lucky that your impatiens are in a pot so you will be able to do this. Then if they're far enough away from their background you could try using a slightly smaller aperture till you get the right amount of sharpness/blur that you're looking for. Often I use florists wet foam (available from any florist) which you soak with water, anchor/wedge the foam into any suitable container and it will then hold securely any flower while you take it to a suitable location for good light/background and work on it.

You may already know this, but I thought it might help you a bit..... It's good to try something different isn't it, keep at it and enjoy!

BTW I like your b&w shells, I have a thing for shells too, my pockets are always full of my treasures, which include shells and small pebbles from my favourite beaches.

Last edited:

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Janet referred to you B&W image of shells. I too am impressed, but I left comment for a while to see if anyone else would pick up on this. The limited and soft focus helps considerably. What lens and aperture. This could have been done with large format so you can pat yourself on the back.

these I call- Sea Shell Bouquet- exactly where the flowers fell on the shells-
same flower as above which btw I forgot to tellAsher this is not a rose but Impatients" very delicate smal flower -hard for me to catch the new bloom before opened-one in bandw and one in color

DSC_0002-5.jpg

DSC_0004-1.jpg

Notice how removing the color brings to our attention the form itself. Will the second image withstand the same treatment? Maybe not?

Asher

nicolas claris

OPF Co-founder/Administrator
Notice how removing the color brings to our attention the form itself. Will the second image withstand the same treatment? Maybe not?

Asher

Nope !

That's the lack of color in the upper left corner that distract the composition!

Charlotte, I like your new work since a few weeks, what an improvement! After this ;-) I hope you'll pardon me to post a different version of your picture to illustrate my opinion…

DSC_0004-1.jpg

BTW it is difficult to compare the 3D effect as the angle of view is completely different! the color one is seen from above looking down vertical, the contrary of what is needed to get a 3D effect…

Charlotte Thompson

Janet
great suggestions! I love shells always have as well as flowers I am just getting into shooting flowers and I must say it's difficult to find what each has to say in order to photograph them well- You do such a good job!
thanks for coming by and I love your ideas as I do move the pots from time to time-I am always one for change-

Asher

the lens is a micro nikkor 105 and I think I did these on auto setting-I also like the black and white with that kinda soft foucus goin' on
thank you for coming back-

Nicolas

Oh I really like what you did! The very thing you don't like in the bandw in the upper left hand is the very thing I feel makes the shot look different not as cliche'
and thank you for saying my work is getting better-That I can't say really I just keep on trying
thank you again

Rachel Foster

I prefer the flower to the shells. I like the dof on the flower but wonder if lighting is the missing ingredient? Shadows, highlights, something could turn this shot into a stunner maybe.