• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Tropical fish photos

Ron Morse

I wonder if anyone here takes shots of tropical fish? Its really quite different.
Here are a few that I took a while ago.

Pike cichlid.
dpp0013gp6.jpg

Jaguar cichlid.
mga915401op6.jpg

A diamond tetra.
dppb0020px9.jpg

A young and curious severum cichlid.
_MG_8517.jpg

Ron

Don Lashier

Very nice Ron, in particular I like the last one.

I know from hard experience that photographing fish is even more difficult than cats. In particular I find focus to be a problem, not only because of the moving subject and low shutter speed, but the diffraction of water and/or glass seems to play tricks.

- DL

Mary Bull

Nils, I absolutely love this thread.

@Ron: The tropical fish are wonderful. Were you scuba diving? At an aquarium?
Photographing your own pets in your own aquarium?
I feel as if I'm in the water with them!

Mary

Mary

Ron Morse

Thanks Don and Mary for the kind words.
Don the things that you mention can be a problem. The secret to good aquarium photography is light and more light. I use a ST-E2 and a remote flash above the aquarium. The onboard flash will cause reflections and glare although their are ways to get around that also.
Mary these were taken in our own fish room. We have 11 aquariums up and running at this time.