• Guide: Pictures are the best way of describing what is for sale. Please describe any nicks, defects, missing parts and if a lens or camera, source and serial number, if available.

The recycling of unused gear helps this community! Good luck!
  • This forum is for contributors with a track record of substantial posts on phottography. Post such as "great picture" don't count. We routinely soft-delete "for sale" posts from those who have not, as yet, really participated as described above.
  • Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

WTB: classic Vivitar 285HV

Daniel Buck

Well, my Metz flash just died on me, so I'm looking for another Vivitar. The 285HV that I have been using for the past 1/2 year or so has been doing great, so I'd like to replace my dead Metz with another Vivitar!

Anyone have a classic 285HV that they do not need, and could sell? I'm not looking for one of the newer ones, as I have heard that they are not quite as reliable and "bullet proof" as the classic ones.

Thanks!

Doug Kerr

Hi, Daniel,

Well, my Metz flash just died on me, so I'm looking for another Vivitar. The 285HV that I have been using for the past 1/2 year or so has been doing great, so I'd like to replace my dead Metz with another Vivitar!

Anyone have a classic 285HV that they do not need, and could sell? I'm not looking for one of the newer ones, as I have heard that they are not quite as reliable and "bullet proof" as the classic ones.

If I had a 285HV in front of me (actually, I have three in front of me), how would I know if it was a "classic"?

In any case, I am not planning on getting rid of any of these three.

Best regards,

Doug

Daniel Buck

Hi, Daniel,

If I had a 285HV in front of me (actually, I have three in front of me), how would I know if it was a "classic"?

In any case, I am not planning on getting rid of any of these three.

Best regards,

Doug

hm... from the serial number, I guess. serial on mine is in the 40,000 range.

Or if you have the manual, check the date on the booklet? Mine is from the 80's i believe. I'm not actually sure how accurate the claim of the classic being more reliable than the newer ones is, so I may end up just buying a new one if I can't find one from the 80's or so.

Doug Kerr

Hi, Daniel,

hm... from the serial number, I guess. serial on mine is in the 40,000 range.

Or if you have the manual, check the date on the booklet? Mine is from the 80's i believe. I'm not actually sure how accurate the claim of the classic being more reliable than the newer ones is, so I may end up just buying a new one if I can't find one from the 80's or so.
Well, there are no "new ones" - the model is out of production.

But there are lots of used ones available.

Best regards,

Doug.

Clayton Lofgren

If you look on the Strobist page, they are showing some Chinese alternatives that people are hoping will be more reliable. I went with the devil well known, and have just received two Vivitars from Gadget Infinity. Haven't done much with them yet, but they work OK.
The poverty Wizard radio triggers should be here shortly, so will give them a better workout then.