• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

My Little Osprey Friend

Eric Diller

Few more shots from the parking garage near my Office. Osprey is about 49 days old (give or take a couple of days).
It has been very hot with little rain and Mom and chick are getting tired of the heat. Another week or so and we should see first flight!

PIC_5216.jpg

Looking for some shade from Mom......see the egg that didn't hatch?
PIC_5574.jpg

PIC_5594.jpg

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Eric,

Exceptional color, delicate pleasant and not distracting Bokeh with "substance" to it and the birds feathers defined. I appreciate the active nature of each picture. It's interesting that the nest is made of large twigs and little structure to the straw bed for the eggs. The nest seems to have only the barest effort made sufficient for the eggs to not roll off or get chilled. This marginal work might explain the unhatched egg! It was not warm enough.

Asher

StuartRae

Hi Eric,

These are very nice shots, and you're lucky to be able to take them. Here in the UK I would be liable for prosecution for doing so. See Bird Photography and the Law, in particular para 9 of the document.

Do you have any such restrictions in (I assume) the US? [no criticism implied, just jealousy :) ]

Regards,

Stuart

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Well, Stuart, I guess that's a good reason for you to come and visit! Sometimes these British civil servants are over zealous but it can also be that given the fragile state of the Britsh Ecosystems, this is justified. I do know that a lot of bird species in the U.K. have declined and some have not been migrating successfully from dried out spots where there should be stopping-over-places in the Sahara desert.

Maybe some jurisdiction has such a long list of forbidden pictures here too. However, it is likely just felonious to photograph them mating within 100 feet of the City Hall!

Asher

Great shots, Eric. Getting essentially eye-level shots of Osprey chicks, without branches obscuring the view, is not too common, making these special images!

Eric Diller

Eric,

Exceptional color, delicate pleasant and not distracting Bokeh with "substance" to it and the birds feathers defined. I appreciate the active nature of each picture. It's interesting that the nest is made of large twigs and little structure to the straw bed for the eggs. The nest seems to have only the barest effort made sufficient for the eggs to not roll off or get chilled. This marginal work might explain the unhatched egg! It was not warm enough.

Asher

Asher,
Nest is very shallow, I would say no more than a foot. It was a tad deeper when the chick was younger but many have fallen off since. Seems they have put just enough material in this nest (which is located on top of a power pole in one of those city built boxes, made of 1"X4" wood strips).
This is the 3rd year for this mating pair to nest here and every year, I have been told, is shallow like this. Last year she raised 3 chicks compared to one this year.
Thanks for looking.

Few more shots from the parking garage near my Office.

Hi Eric,

Thanks for sharing. These images have a real "being there" quality to them. Unfortunately the focus seems to be lacking a bit. Really unfortunate, because I like the shots a lot. Maybe it just has to do with the post processing?

Bart

Not sure if your allowed to post a video..so if not let me know. This is a small clip from the Osprey nest i shot at! Awesome sight to see mom feeding chick!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fM6jsUbOWrM

I really enjoyed watching this, Eric. As I've been dabbling a little with HD Video, I'd be interested in the details - which camera, what software to edit, etc.

I think Video definitely complements the still photography we concentrate it, and would actually like to have it possible to see embedded video clips within a forum message.

Great detail in the video. Also - that's one big 'chick' - seemed a little odd watching it be fed by the adult that didn't seem to be that much bigger than itself!

Eric Diller

I really enjoyed watching this, Eric. As I've been dabbling a little with HD Video, I'd be interested in the details - which camera, what software to edit, etc.

I think Video definitely complements the still photography we concentrate it, and would actually like to have it possible to see embedded video clips within a forum message.

Great detail in the video. Also - that's one big 'chick' - seemed a little odd watching it be fed by the adult that didn't seem to be that much bigger than itself!

Don....

I took your advice from a few months back and decided to start shooting a little video of the wildlife I run into (actually my 1 year old granddaughter is the real reason i got it).
I had an old Camcorder, it was DVC style. I wanted something easy to download to my pc and YouTube.

What I bought was a JVC HD camcorder (model GX-HM200. It list for $600.00 but found one at Costco for $469.00). It holds (2) - SDHC cards and is very user friendly.
One nice thing about my MAc Computer, all the software I would need is already on here...I use IMovie to download and process video.