• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Portrait Brother and Sister

Charlotte Thompson

I am still in the study of capture but not only just capture but of the heart of the soul that my camera and I see- this for me is always daunting to say the least- but I do go on and learn and try etc.. this catching is important for me- the shades in black and white also have to convey what I see and most important-in this case-male and female siblings
what I feel- so come on people let me know either way what your thoughts are-I always need to learn-

DSC_01002.jpg

DSC_0166.jpg

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Hi Charlotte,

I like the first in it's use of shades of mid and dark greys but would like more nuance in the lighting of her face. Of course I like the picture anyway, you have a darling subject. I really find the image too close up and would prefer adding space especially some asymmetry.

The boy is hardly lit and beyond the pose and expression that's his trademark, you can do better. Once more to my liking at least, it's too closely cropped.

Part of the ability to give a narrative about a person is to show their lines of age, tools of trade or passion or perhaps their unusual clothes or surroundings. There are no lines of age nor clothes which tell us much. Why cut off the world the child belongs in?

Ask what do they do that they enjoy, forgetting how you can dress them up. Will Thompson's recent series of outdoor night pictures captures folk without much pretense in some street location they find. However, that location gives it's imprint on what we think of the subject. We have too often fallen for dressing up our subjects and making them look so wonderful. Maybe step back.

Asher

Charlotte Thompson

Asher
Thank you for being around my efforts!

one thing my friend"

I question

Asher

The boy is hardly lit and beyond the pose and expression that's his trademark, you can do better. Once more to my liking at least, it's too closely cropped.

Thank you

but I see it in another way
like a sublime tone! close to cliche and I hate!! that- but non
e he less-

Asher

Ask what do they do that they enjoy, forgetting how you can dress them up.

I always want that space of integrity!

and my friend

I am learning space"
and continuing beauty

and I really love the challenge you present me-
I do- If only I could type.....................

Charlotte-