• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Just for Fun No C&C will be given: The only click was from my shutter...

fahim mohammed

p729048594.jpg

Thanks for looking.

Kathy Rappaport

pro member
Lovely

Fahim,

Nice image that must have a story to attach to it! I love the depth of field. This makes me want to hear the story attached to the image - who is the boy, where is he ....etc.

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Fahim,

This looks like a market, a monestary or a music group perhaps and you have noticed this boy?

Asher

fahim mohammed

Kathy, Asher..thanks for looking.

In Nepal there are Nepalese and Tibetian Monasteries. This series is from a Tibetian Monastery, where I
was very graciously allowed to spend a day. It was a different and serene experience to say the least. I had requested permission to photograph during the prayer and contemplation sessions, which was granted. I am grateful to them for this privilege. To keep the noise form the camera at a minimum I used
my leica and a lux 50 asph to cope with the low light.

There were different sessions for younger and not so young monks. Here are a few more from that visit.
M8 is not known for low light and I am not known for steady hands!

p646621935.jpg

p899332677.jpg

p674515772.jpg

Thank you for your comments.

Asher Kelman

Fahim,

Fascinating and intimate! You are fortunate to have been given permission to be an observer. Did you manage to understand the nature and form of the prayer and ritual? Are there any commonalities you can see with Judeo-Christian-Islamic services with a preacher and a holy book and psalms?

Are all the monks essentially doing the same thing of is there a leader and they respond to what he chants. Does a senior monk come out and talk for 20-40 minutes and give a sermon?

Did you manage to find out the values associated with the items photographed, the shell, decorated picture, brass (bell or incense holder). The grasping of the rob? Is that prior to kissing the text via first kissing the cloth?

I wish you could have taken video too!

Asher

Any wider shots too?

fahim mohammed

Asher, I am losing replies after typing and when a password is once again required. So quickly before, I lose this one too!

Fort Bragg...without the amenities and the noise would be my impression of a monastery.

Fahim,

1. Did you manage to understand the nature and form of the prayer and ritual? ...No

2. Are there any commonalities you can see with Judeo-Christian-Islamic services with a preacher and a holy book and psalms?

Are all the monks essentially doing the same thing of is there a leader and they respond to what he chants

p162220544.jpg

3. Does a senior monk come out and talk for 20-40 minutes and give a sermon?...Don't know

4. Did you manage to find out the values associated with the items photographed, the shell, decorated picture, brass (bell or incense holder). The grasping of the rob? Is that prior to kissing the text via first kissing the cloth?

...The seashell is associated with Vishnu and the one with clockwise spirals is more sacred. The decorations are generally variations/combinations of the 8 major symbols in Buddhism. The bell, in various forms, is to announce that a sacred ceremony is in place and to ward off evil. I do not know the significance, if any, of the grasping of the robe.

The colors, ambience, the general low lighting, quiet, the prayer flags, and the various symbols have
a relationship to Hinduism.

The one thing that leapt out at me was..cleanliness. The monks were very polite but reserved.

p464202239.jpg

p4949479.jpg

p154137613.jpg

4.I wish you could have taken video too!....Me too!

Asher

5.Any wider shots too?.....Shall search, but doubt it.

Asher Kelman

Thanks for the extra information. I need to get myself educated a little more.

As far as re-logging in, I wonder why that is? Could you help define the issue and let's get it remedied.

Asher

fahim mohammed

1. i log in
2. i start a reply to a thread
3. if after say 5 mins, i ' submit reply '
4. i am asked to log on again
5. i log on again!
6. my reply is lost, there is nothing to post, lost in hyperspace
7. i have to start all over again

Regards.

As far as re-logging in, I wonder why that is? Could you help define the issue and let's get it remedied.

Asher

Cem_Usakligil

1. i log in
2. i start a reply to a thread
3. if after say 5 mins, i ' submit reply '
4. i am asked to log on again
5. i log on again!
6. my reply is lost, there is nothing to post, lost in hyperspace
7. i have to start all over again

Regards.
It sounds like your browser is losing the cookie which contains your login credentials. When you login, do you check the tick box which says "Remember me on this computer"? If not, then a session cookie is used which gets lost the next time you connect to the OPF server. If you have an unstable internet connection which causes a drop while you are online, the browser will reconnect to the server but having lost the cookie, it will ask you to login again. That's what I can guess looking at the situation. Until this is resolved, caution would be advised. Before submitting your reply, select all the text (using Ctrl-A on a PC) and copy it using Ctrl-C. If you lose your text after logging in again, then you can still use Ctrl-V (paste) to prevent the loss of your text. HTH.

Cheers,

fahim mohammed

Cem, how are you doing with your new job. Hope it goes well with you.

Thanks for helping me with the mac-osx issue. I have set it up as you recommended, hope it solves the
problem.

Best.