• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Zeiss 1700mm

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
This is either a mistake of just a heavy lens. At 256 KG the weight is pretty much out of question: way beyond usability for most people!

I could image 25.6 KG, so I'd wonder if "256 KG" is an error!

Asher

Don Lashier

Asher Kelman said:
This is either a mistake of just a heavy lens. At 256 KG the weight is pretty much out of question: way beyond usability for most people!
I doubt it's a mistake. The Canon 1200 is 16kg and it's only f5.6 (and $89,000).

The Zeiss is probably in the mid 6 figures. I'm sure if you can afford it you can find a way to move/use it.

- DL

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
What sort of mororized platform does it use and how is it transported?

It doesnt seem to have carrying handles for 4 men, as I'd expect!

Zeiss refers to it for Bird Watching? Or is this for the FBI etc?

Maybe it is meant for a park or beach where there are lts of birds and this is in a fixed spot with a motorized platform?

Asher

Last edited:

Roger Lambert

This lens looks like a modern version of an alien galaxy-eating space vessel from the original Star Trek series.

I think the weight issue is irrelevant. Surely, this nearly 600 pound lens is made to be used from outer space in zero gravity.

Adrian Warren

It's not a 35mm lens, it's MF.

According to my quick calculations it has the same field of view as a 1000mm on a 35mm camera.

Still doesn't seem very practical to me though ;)

KrisCarnmarker

I'm just guessing here, but I think this lens is custom built for Sheik Saoud Al-Thani from Qatar. Al-Thani is a huge art collector and fan of photography. He's got a yearly photography contest (http://www.blaugrau.at/supercircuit/al_thani.cfm).

The reason I think this is the case is that it was reported that the lens on display at Photokina had the Qatari state emblem on it.