• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Just for Fun No C&C will be given: Airshow....

VIRGINIA AIRPORT, DURBAN, SOUTH AFRICA, 11 JULY 2009.

Terrible grey sky - lots of Smog the past few days. I still decided to go, as this is always worthwhile. Had to get there early, as seating space is a bit limited, and this year the 20 000 strong crowd once again proved this is an event not to be missed. Every year there are some amazing highlights, and this year was no exception. Pilots press the boundaries a little harder, and history is always in the making.

Just a few for you to enjoy

114881386.jpg

Used by the South African coastguard for years, these two Albatros aircraft are now privately owned and operated

114881387.jpg

Mid-air Madness

114881389.jpg

They make it look so simple

114881390.jpg

History in the making - first time ever that a formation like this was shown. Two South African Airways BOEING 737 Cargo planes, front one flanked by two HARVARD planes (used many years ago by the South African Airforce as trainer aircraft). The back 737 is flanked by 5 the Silver Falcons (the South African Airforce Display Team) in the trainer aircraft they use nowadays.. The two spots are actually birds - Hadeda Ibis - and continuous effort from a special team of dogs and handlers operating from quad-bikes keep them away from the runway.

Hi Johann,

Thanks for sharing these, I enjoyed them very much. It's been years since I've been to an air show.

You mentioned the hazy skies - I wonder if maybe they worked to your advantage by diffusing the light somewhat. At any rate, you obviously made the best of the conditions.

Tom

Hazy Skies

Thanks Tom.

From experience at previous year's shows I would prefer nice clear blue skies, or maybe some nice strong clouds as a backdrop. Just makes for more impact. It's really a battle in post processing to get anything worthwhile with this smog as a background.

Nevertheless, the show is always enjoyed and we try our best to get something out of it.

Glad you enjoyed it.

Lens

Hi Asher

The first 3 are with the Bigma - hand held - HEAVY after a full day of panning !
Last one is with the 70-200.

All the shots except the 3rd are cropped 16:9 - intention is to put together a short DVD show and see what it will look like on a LARGE LCD TV.

fahim mohammed

Thanks for sharing these with us. Reminds me of the DC3 and the superconstellations. Ah! those were
the days for travel for me.

You have certainly brought back memories!

Nostalgia ......

One oldie to enjoy..... for you Fahim......

The coast guard here used to use old Shackletons and also a few of these Dakota's - referred to as Dackletons.

I thought B/W would add to the mood here

115142241.jpg

More Madness.....

At this airshow the spectators are only 50m from the runway - very close - and this guy was flying directly above the runway - tail no more than 5m off the tarmac.

No room for any error.....

115261624.jpg