• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

I hate those stinkin' orange flowers

Rod Snaith

<chuckle> Well, not really, but they have shown me how lacking I am in both skill and some equipment :)

Following the advice of all here, I lit the flowers and got my shutter speed up. No more issues with sharpness. Its just tough to control lighting with a couple MagLites bouncing light off the ceiling and walls :)

I did end up with a _decent_ shot, completely by accident though. This was actually a chunk of a shot that I was going to crop, until I realized it was much nicer than the actual shot:

3716801504_4da0723e21_o.jpg

I realize the flower really needed to be rotated a few degrees left, but at least the color is good, bokeh decent and I got the depth of field I wanted.

Thanks to all who responded to my last macro thread. Your advice is really much appreciated.

And since its out of season for those little orange devils now, you won't have to put up with any more shots of them....

Rod

Cem_Usakligil

Rob I think that you've done reasonably well so do not underestimate yourself :)
Ideally, I'd like to see some more to the left and above of the single flower in focus but it works for me as it is. Thanks for sharing.

Cheers,

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
<chuckle> .......
I did end up with a _decent_ shot, completely by accident though. This was actually a chunk of a shot that I was going to crop, until I realized it was much nicer than the actual shot:

3716801504_4da0723e21_o.jpg

I realize the flower really needed to be rotated a few degrees left, but at least the color is good, bokeh decent and I got the depth of field I wanted.

Rod,

I feel there's tension where the flower is only partly included. I want to move the camera!

Where's the original if this is chunk of the shot?

Asher

Rod Snaith

Here's the original (resized). I can post a link to the full sized image if anyone wants. Any ideas on cropping would be welcome.

3720447540_457a0b256f_o.jpg

At this point in time, I was goofing with the light, trying a few different things with the spotlight. I believe with the shot I was shining it over top, with the flower being lit by residual light. I metered the wrong spot and blew out the top of the actual subject.

Rod