• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Nadine and Anastasia

Models : Nadine and Anastasia
Styling : Nadine and Anastasia
Photographer : Frank Doorhof

15_Juli_2009_leaf_2v2.jpg

15_Juli_2009_leaf_31v2.jpg

15_Juli_2009_leaf_43v2.jpg

15_Juli_2009_leaf_83v2.jpg

Greetings,
Frank

Last edited by a moderator:

fahim mohammed

Frank, a master exercising his photographic prowess, once more. very well done. 1,4 are my favorites. such beauty in such desolation.

Regards.

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Of course I love the under exposure of the background and perfect lighting for the models. Very satisfying.

Could you share the exposure and the lights used. Do you ever blue screen this in studio and then add the b.g.?

Asher

Giorgio Wild

Hi,

I like #2 most. Somewhat impressive...

Did you use a Porty (with a grid, I guess) for the Pictures with underexposed BG?

Giorgio

Rod Snaith

Very impressive. #2 definitely jumps at me, leaving me the impression of sadness or possibly hopelessness. And #4 is just incredible. Don't know where to start with that one.

@Cem,
I know someone gave me the tip of Doel but I couldn't remember who :( (I'm very bad with that kind of things) otherwise I would have loved to drop by.

@Asher, Giorgio,
I used an Elinchrom Ranger RX speed with A head and the Elinchrom Maxispot for this session.
VERY powerful and needed because this was shot during midday so in the full sun.

Thanks so much for the replies.

Bobby Deal

Beautiful editorial fashion in #1, 3 and 4. I love the dark and moody skies coupled with the post production treatment to give them the color tones of having been shot at dusk. All have a real strong emotional impact while not detracting from the wardrobe of the models.

#2 is simply powerful. The visual language this image speaks transcends all language barriers and carries it's message loud and clear to the viewer.

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Overpowering the sun with strobe light: The Doorhof way!

Models : Nadine and Anastasia
Styling : Nadine and Anastasia
Photographer : Frank Doorhof

[/
15_Juli_2009_leaf_43v2.jpg

Frank Dorhoof Overpowering the sun

I think it's worthwhile looking at exactly how this picture was made despite the power of full sun. One of Frank's obsessions is to shoot with the effect he wants and simply under any conditions. He's a great teacher. Let's look at the gear. It's really modest. He uses an Elinchrom Ranger. Here's the portable battery unit kit from B&H. The preferable version is asymmetric so one is not forced to divide the power between the two lights, (just one is provide in this kit).

364094.jpg

Here's the Maxispot reflector. The kit comes with the especially efficient reflecting surface and the 3 grids. It's a bargain at ~ $174 if you can afford the Ranger itself, LOL!

206452.jpg

The nice thing about these units is that they are very well made and reliable. The limitation is that, unlike Profoto, at least in the USA, extra ones aren't always available for rent.

I love the mood this methodology gives and especially the great rendering of the clouds without resorting to bracketed exposures. The Maxispot appears to be coming from the camera left at above head level. I'd guess about 4 meters away.

Now questions for you Frank.

1. What grid if any did you use?
  2. How far away is the light and what's it's height and angle?
  3. Roughly how many what seconds are needed?
  4. Do you use a second light or any reflectors, barn doors or flags?
  5. Could you do this with a beauty dish with a grid?

Asher

Hi,
No grids were used during the taking of this photograph :D

I used the maxispot on an Elinchrom A head and Ranger RX-speed, that's all.
So indeed a very simple setup, the combination of the maxispot and RX on almost full power gives me enough power to work with, even from a distance.
Here the strobe is app 3 mtrs away from the model.

You can't do it with a BD, simply put there is too little power from the Ranger to achieve this with the BD, you really need the maxispot.
OR move everything closer of course.

For these kind of shots I'm mostly om ISO25 and on full power on the rangers.