• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Barn swallows - Phase 1 plays out

Doug Kerr

I had earlier introduced you to activity in our barn swallow nest.

This is a reprise of one of the young birds just as they were beginning to become aware of the world around them. No sound at all for several weeks - I suppose "mum's the word" so as to not alert predators.

Barn_Swallows_F10344R.jpg

Douglas A. Kerr. Young barn swallow 44

Don't ya love the 'do? Reminds me of Woodstock in Peanuts.

Here they're almost ready to leave the nest - posing for the ViewSonic logo:

Barn_Swallows_F10635R.jpg

Douglas A. Kerr. Young barn swallows almost ready to leave the nest

Earlier in the day, two of the three flew off, but this guy still wasn't sure.

Barn_Swallows_F10635R.jpg

Douglas A. Kerr.
Do I have to do this?​

His mother, and then his siblings, stood around hollered at him, but he still wasn't ready.

Then mama had one of the siblings sit on the gutter nearby, and continued to bring that one yummy bugs. But no snacks for this guy - that dining room was closed.

About an hour after this shot, he decided to get with the program.

But for about a week, each night the three of them slept in the nest.

Now, they hang around. A first brood of barn swallows often helps to feed and groom the second brood of the year.

Beautiful and fascinating creatures.