• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Cala Lillies

janet Smith

pro member
I've just started shooting this year's crop of Cala's which are just emerging in my garden, fascinated by their shape I wanted to include their shadows, I'll be doing some more next week, let me know what you think of this please......

IMG_2193v2SS.jpg

Mike Shimwell

Hi Janet

This is stratling in its 3 dimensionality. It looks as though I could pull it from the screen. I'm not so sure about the shadow as currently placed - I'm not sure why, but it's not really working for me yet. It may just be that we are not used to seeing shadows when photographing flowers on a qhite - i.e. effectively non-existent - background and the shadow roots the flower we expect to float.

Lovely flower.

Mike

janet Smith

pro member
I like this, Jan. I"ve been shooting Calas too. Fascinating bloom.

Thank you for commenting Rachel. I find them awkward to shoot - all the empty space around them, but yes they're fascinating and because I find them awkward I'll no doubt continue to shoot them, think I may try shooting two or three of them next....

janet Smith

pro member
This is stratling in its 3 dimensionality. It looks as though I could pull it from the screen. I'm not so sure about the shadow as currently placed

Hi Mike

Thank you for commenting, I appreciate your feedback. I debated this one for a while and almost deleted it. I have several more with the flower/shadow in different positions, some where I used smaller apertures etc etc, sometimes I look at this shot and like it, others, I definitely don't! I might print it and live with it for a while and see how I feel about it then.....

Rachel Foster

I love the empty space, actually. It gives it .... for want of a better word, "breathing room." I've shot threesomes but not real happy with the result. I'll look forward to seeing what you get.

This single lily is an "almost." I like something about it but it didn't quite get there.