• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

The roughness of reconstruction

Michael Fontana

pro member
the_roughness_1.jpg

Reconstructions hurt the skin of a building; the two heavy metal bars - who knows how they got'em inside the that room - are just holding the scaffold for a temporary roof, to protect the building, when the old roof is taken away:

roughness_2.jpg

You might notice, that the construction site's dust is a nightmare for every digital camera; but I finally found a trick for very small contamination:

shooting after big rains at Sunday, so the dust could sink from friday afternoon - I don' t carry a camera bag anymore with me, but a small camera packback (with rain protection shell), never change the lens inside, and working fast, that - beside a two step cleaning of everything afterwards, all these little steps help a lot.

Michael Fontana

pro member
...and nothing over f 8.0 :)

Asher

what do you mean by over, smaller or bigger hole?
The interior (17-40) is at 11 - 16, while the exterior, N 14-24 is at f 8 and 22mm. For the exterioir too, a zoom is just great, as I couldn't move from the dormer...

We could dicuss the cam's position in the exterior, but there aren't many choices.

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
what do you mean by over, smaller or bigger hole?
The interior (17-40) is at 11 - 16, while the exterior, N 14-24 is at f 8 and 22mm. For the exterioir too, a zoom is just great, as I couldn't move from the dormer...

We could dicuss the cam's position in the exterior, but there aren't many choices.
Hi Michael,

As you know, if one is using a modern DSLR, the sensels are approx 7 micron in size so that apertures more narrow than f8.0 start to yield concentric waves of diffraction making a focused spot become spread over a larger area. The sensels, however, are able to resolve this diffraction over adjacent pixels and so the image sharpness is degraded.

At the same time, dirt on the sensor, which is previously not evident in the image, now becomes increasingly obvious.

So these are two good reasons for keeping away from very tiny apertures. I like to photograph at 5.6 but will go to f 8 or even f 11 on occasion.

Asher

Michael Fontana

pro member
one of last week-ends shots, at the same building, the roof is gone now, and will be prepared for the extension:

roof_gone.jpg

the statical structure of the museum had to be strengthened (concret) for the extension:

oldandnew.jpg

Michael Fontana

pro member
Thanks Cedric

yes, its one of the serie °keep it simple° ;- )
beeing there at he right moment... the light was nice...

while it's purpose is to show the mixture of old and new parth. And a good example for the use of a 35 mm in architecture photography.

Nicolas: You' re right, it looks better when cloned.
BTW: in that dust, you just avoid to touch anything, apart from the camera and tripod.

nicolas claris

OPF Co-founder/Administrator
BTW: in that dust, you just avoid to touch anything, apart from the camera and tripod.

I know! can you imagine shooting in an industrial place where there is carbon fiber being sanded?
You just don't move your zoom ring! (and hold your breath or better use a mask…)

It is amazing as, in all working places any debris is revealed and majored on photographs!
Workers are always amazed when I prepare a shoot and clean every single corner… still it is very difficult to avoid your shot showing a big mess (which, BTW is not the case of your latest pics here, but look at the 1st one, one wouldn't notice all these small debris at first sight in reallity, but on the picture…)

Michael Fontana

pro member
Nicolas

in an industrial place where there is carbon fiber being sanded?

oum, I need to scratch just thinking about it... :)

Here, they let the dust calme down for 3 (three !!) monthes - after finishing and after everything is cleaned! - before they bring the stuff back to the museum!
Got the idea?

It's ok for me, plenty of time to shoot it, then.......

nicolas claris

OPF Co-founder/Administrator
in an industrial place where there is carbon fiber being sanded?

oum, I need to scratch just thinking about it... :) .

LoL! yes it does! and carbon dust will scratch everywhere/everything for you, seems to find a home on the sensor ;-( better be carefull before any wipe to clean…

Michael Fontana

pro member
Thanks Paul

and yes, it is - beside its aesthetic values - alwith a documentation as well; for some generations from next year on, nobody will see that wall like that again.

As I knew about the potential of the scene, I took some variations:

variation.jpg

Michael Fontana

pro member
Good evening, Bart

I agree with you about the dark, heavy °character° of the walls, showing its mass - and beeing opposite to the later museum's rooms with white walls! That's the big picture to keep in mind.

The variation has been in camera position as well as editing - I could edit all in the same way.

Does anybody like/dislikes the two metal supports? Somehow, they look ridiculuos to me, like a strange person, but then they mirror the two concrete walls behind them, so its ok.

Michael Fontana

pro member
same room, now whithout the floor - he was cut away, to gain a 2nd high room; therfore I had to change the cam from landcape orientation to vertical:

MBK_09_H_70_%C2%A9.jpg

Michael Fontana

pro member
As the sun is in these days really not very positive for shooting north-south - which is the only possibility - I went for late afternoon - night shots. The light source is -
the advertising of the builder at the crane's top...

MBK_09_K_112C.jpg

Michael Fontana

pro member
a evening shot - after sunset.

Pretty difficult to find a good position, when I looked at the photo first, I didn't liked it, but there aren't many options, up there:

MBK_09_K_84c.jpg

For the entire roof, more than 660 of these metal bars are fit together..

Michael Fontana

pro member
Today, the covered the roof:

MBK_09_P_RAWS_12.jpg

shot with one hand only, as I have been on a 4 m-ladder as well, and had to fix myself with the other hand.

MBK_09_P_RAWS_29.jpg