• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Just for Fun No C&C will be given: Tree Frog

Alex Furbush

I was in Manhattan the other day visiting the Museum of Natural History, viewing the frog exhibit where I shot this little tree frog. I thought it was pretty nice, so wanted to share it.

DSC_0094-1.jpg

Alex Furbush Tree Frog

Comments appreciated!

Last edited by a moderator:

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Hi Alex,

I do love that tree frog. These are cute. I wonder whether yours might be lightened a bit. What do you think? Tell us where it was taken and how! Are there more?

Asher

Alex Furbush

Yes they are quite cute, I'm glad you like it! Yeah it is lightened; the shot was taken (with flash, as obviously the reflection is seen on the frog's mouth/nose area) by me crouching down next to the glass display it was in with my D40 mode dial set to the "Closeup" setting, and using a manual focus - I wanted to get as close as possible, as clear as possible. The Frog exhibit in the museum was kinda dark, but not enough that I *needed* the flash, though I would say it helped in this situation. I should have gotten a shot without flash, would have been interesting to see how that would have come out. There are a few more shots of poison dart frogs, etc. in the Animals album at my website (displayed in signature). Soon I'll post some other ones here!

Asher Kelman

Lighting Wet Things! (Also glasses, ie spectacles!)

DSC_0094-1.jpg

Alex Furbush Tree Frog

It's kinda nice to control direct light bounce back. But how best to do that? One idea is to look how Ron Morse light his aquarium.

mg0579um7.jpg

Ron Morse A Pleco

He uses the flash from the top. The light reflections then don't seen to go to the camera lens! It's also a trick using two flashes at 45 degrees to shoot a painting with glass. The directly reflected light from each flash just shoots away to the side. Polrizer might also be an idea with wet surfaces, but I haven't tried it with a frog, LOL!

Asher

Alex Furbush

Heh I didn't even realize that the reflection on its skin would be because it was wet (brain dead, eh?). As for "from the top", how exactly do you mean? It may be an amateur'ish question but judging from Mr. Morse's image, I see no light reflection so he's obviously doing something that that seems to be a cool technique.

Asher Kelman

Alex,

The flash is at the top of the tank on an extension cord, I guess or else triggered from the camera.

Asher