• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Lens Upgrading, any help appreciated

Alex Furbush

Hello all,

I am looking to upgrade from my standard Nikon D40 kit lens, the AF-S Nikkor 18-55. I'm interested in an inexpensive macro lens, as well as a better lens I can use for landscape shots, per say. Are there any lenses of these 2 types I can find for under $100? I'm a 16 year old student living at home, working with a D40 I bought myself last year and now find myself a bit restricted by the kit lens, and would like to upgrade a bit without having to spend a ton. Any and all suggestions and help is appreciated!

charlie chipman

$100 is quite a limiting budget as far as lenses go. If I were you I would be looking for older used AI or AIS nikkors (manual focus). You can use the NON AI lenses as well but they will need to be modified otherwise they will damage your lens mount so keep an eye out for that (http://www.aiconversions.com/ for information on modifying.) You will have to manually adjust exposure for them to work with the D40, but it can be done within or close to your $100 budget.

Take a look at the link below and you can find some 55mm micro lenses for right around $100 give or take (again keep an eye out for AI/AIS/non AI) , there are some 105mm micro's for between $100 and $200. Check out ebay and or craigslist as well.

http://www.keh.com/OnLineStore/Prod...=&ID=24&BC=NK&BCC=1&CC=6&CCC=2&BCL=&GBC=&GCC=

Another alternative is to get a 50mm f 1.8D (or any lens with 52mm threads) new for about $120 (this will meter with your camera but I don't think it will autofocus) and get the BR-2A reversing ring which lets you mount the 50mm backwards on your camera which will then work as high magnification macro (with very tight working distance), sometimes called the poor mans macro, that is what I started with.

Hello all,

I am looking to upgrade from my standard Nikon D40 kit lens, the AF-S Nikkor 18-55. I'm interested in an inexpensive macro lens, as well as a better lens I can use for landscape shots, per say.

Hi Alex,

For landscapes, you could consider stitching multiple shots to cover a wider angle, if that's what you want. Stitching doesn't cost much until you buy specialized equipment. You can start with what you have, and use a free software stitcher like Hugin. That should get you started without spending anything. Hugin is pretty powerful, but it does have a learning curve when things don't work out as intended (but then learning never stops).

Another alternative is to get a 50mm f 1.8D (or any lens with 52mm threads) new for about $120 (this will meter with your camera but I don't think it will autofocus) and get the BR-2A reversing ring which lets you mount the 50mm backwards on your camera which will then work as high magnification macro (with very tight working distance), sometimes called the poor mans macro, that is what I started with.

Poor man's macro perhaps, but with pretty decent results!

Bart

Alex Furbush

$100 is quite a limiting budget as far as lenses go. If I were you I would be looking for older used AI or AIS nikkors (manual focus). You can use the NON AI lenses as well but they will need to be modified otherwise they will damage your lens mount so keep an eye out for that (http://www.aiconversions.com/ for information on modifying.) You will have to manually adjust exposure for them to work with the D40, but it can be done within or close to your $100 budget.

Take a look at the link below and you can find some 55mm micro lenses for right around $100 give or take (again keep an eye out for AI/AIS/non AI) , there are some 105mm micro's for between $100 and $200. Check out ebay and or craigslist as well.

http://www.keh.com/OnLineStore/Produ...BCL=&GBC=&GCC=

Yes, $100 is pretty limiting. Ah it seems used AI/AIS would be a good way to go, okay; I don't mind manual focus, heck most times I use it more often than auto focus (situation permitting). Thanks for the links Charlie, those are some good recommendations it seems! And $120 for the 50mm f1.8D is great for my price range, thanks again, I'll keep this in mind.
For landscapes, you could consider stitching multiple shots to cover a wider angle, if that's what you want. Stitching doesn't cost much until you buy specialized equipment. You can start with what you have, and use a free software stitcher like Hugin. That should get you started without spending anything.

Stitching could be a great way to go, especially for spending nothing..never thought about that. Thanks Bart. Oh and I'll look into this poor man's macro for sure!

charlie chipman

Hi Alex,

Poor man's macro perhaps, but with pretty decent results!

Bart

Indeed, just limiting as far as working distance and focus (must move the camera to focus). I think this was taken with a 50mm f/1.4, either that or a reversed 28mm. It was a long time ago.

178560129_c5e927a9fa_o.jpg

Alex Furbush

Indeed, just limiting as far as working distance and focus (must move the camera to focus). I think this was taken with a 50mm f/1.4, either that or a reversed 28mm. It was a long time ago.

178560129_c5e927a9fa_o.jpg

Wow, that is pretty impressive.

On a similar note, I found this while searching around on eBay earlier, as well as this one - would either of these do any *genuine* good for macro? The $15 one in particular, as I'm sure the 200mm would do some kind of good.

charlie chipman

As far as this type of stuff goes you will most often get what you pay for, if you use $15 close up lenses image quality will surely suffer compared to a dedicated micro/macro lens, not only that they likely won't do macro, just close ups. That said canon does make a very good close up filter (500d I think it is called) but it is more expensive.

I have not used the 55-200mm so can not comment on image quality, given its price point it will leave much to be desired compared to a higher quality lens. For example f/4-5.6 will not be desireable in low light handheld, It may be soft at 200mm, may not be sharp for close ups, could have distortion and chromatic abberation, etc... I would search for some reviews on this lens. That said it is better than nothing at all, but the same limitation you are finding with your 18-55mm you will find with this lens as well (with respects to quality). It will not do macro but may do ok close ups It has a minimum focus distance of 3.1 feet. The reproduction Ratio is 1:3.5, Macro/micro lenses are usually 1/1 or 1/2.

Personally I think you would be much more pleased with spending $200 on a used 105mm micro nikkor. Image quality will be much better as will build quality and it will do true macro.

Clayton Lofgren

That 55-200 would seem to be a rebranded Tamron. I have the Sony version, and it seems quite a bit better than the other xx-200 lens available for similar price. It would not be my choice for macro or landscapes, but does match well with what you have now.

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Alex,

It's possible that you can pick up a good used lens to suit your purpose from http://fredmiranda.com or ask here in the Buy and Sell section here.

To my knowledge nikon does not buy from Tamron and put their name on it.
Charlie,

I think companies like Cosina make lenses for a number of so called "Brand Names. I wonder if Cosina makes some cheap lenses are in fact made for Canon, Nikon and the like! It might be the case!

Asher

Clayton Lofgren

Checking the specs at B&H I see that they are not identical, but so similar it makes me wonder. They have the same lens/groups, and minimum focus distance. May be that both companies use the same computer design contractor.

Alex Furbush

Yeah I think then I'll look into getting a used 'true macro' lens, either here or eBay or that site you linked me to, Asher - thanks :)

I think companies like Cosina make lenses for a number of so called "Brand Names. I wonder if Cosina makes some cheap lenses are in fact made for Canon, Nikon and the like! It might be the case!

..They would do that? Eh I guess anything to make some money, and rip off some unknowing people at the same time. Kinda scary.

Thank you, Clayton and Charlie, I knew I'd get some good info from the pros who know!