• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Enter, Color

Brenna Gates

Hey all,

From Mexico. I took about three of this church; I loved the colors of the building combined with that of the sky. The door was very aesthetically pleasing imo, as well. Let me know what you think!

guanajuatodoor.jpg

Brenna

Hey all,

From Mexico. I took about three of this church; I loved the colors of the building combined with that of the sky. The door was very aesthetically pleasing imo, as well. Let me know what you think!

Hi Brenna,

The colors create a good compositional contrast. The yellows and reds already claim the foreground, while blue tends to signify background tones. However, I'm wondering why didn't you get the entire door?

Bart

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Cutting off an important structure: An apparent mistake in composition or an insight?

Hi Brenna,

The colors create a good compositional contrast. The yellows and reds already claim the foreground, while blue tends to signify background tones. However, I'm wondering why didn't you get the entire door?

Bart
Hi Bart,

I was wondering about that and also whether or not it would look better corrected to be orthogonal. I spent quite some time with this and came to the conclusion that the energy of this is derived from the decisive inclusion of the bold "Red L" of flat plaster against the yellow walls and windows and their own portion of sky.

guanajuatodoor.jpg

Brenna Gates Enter Color

All that is vivid, simply designed, immediately impressive and accessable to the senses.

By contrast, the partly excluded double church doors are sufficiently shown as heavy, detailed, obscure with darkness beyond, requiring explanations, but with less sky. This is the intricate old established mystery of religion with well-worn steps, now falling apart! To the right it's bright, liberated, with many different openings and a sky, free for anyone to wonder above.

The title, "Enter Color" could be a reference to Benna'a previous cactus picture in B&W, here. Or, can we perhaps infer a new age with various alternative lighting bringing new meaning to ancient ways of thinking? A cynic might say the bright colors are just to seduce the folk. I'd like to think of it as a continuing struggle of the conquistadors v. the native peoples of South America swamped by the arrogance of European greed for gold and places in heaven. A helpful source for some perspective can be found here.

What was caught in an instant aportioned significance and rank. Now "correcting" that and giving new importance the the entrance to the church would destroy what the impulse managed to capture.

Brenna,

In summary, I like your photograph, it's impressive to me and find it worth returning to often. I wonder whether you or anyone else feels any concurrence with my reactions?

Asher

Brenna Gates

Bart,

Thank you! I dind't get the whole door in the shot because getting a significant amout of sky seemed more important to me, and I dind't want the focus to be on the fact that this is a church, and one must enter to get the full idea. I wanted it to be more that this is a beautiful building, that happens to be a church.

Asher,

Wow, thank you so much! The title came from the ideas of this being a shot of a door, and one normally walks through doors. And the colors of this I just love. It just came to me, and seemed fitting. Also, the fact there it is obviously very dark inside, yet so bright outside. It's something a little more personal to me, considering my opinions on organized religion.

Again, thank you!

Brenna