• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Framing schedule: At the shoot? Or later to give new choices down the road?

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Nicolas,

Today, small cameras capture so much detail beyond film of yesteryear. Many photographers teach framing tighter and cropping even tighter. It has been a basic principle. Putting all of what you want on the film or sensor seems the right thing to do. The resulting print can be large and sharp with a lot of satisfactory detail.

In the current thread here, you once again emphasize up this guiding idea.

Tight framing, sometimes does push directly into the matter! Sometimes it is risky but at the end you get real good shots…

Being able to choose to shoot wide or tight is one of the photographer's privilege…
Nicolas,

Of course, the photographer must make decisions. It's not a matter of privilege, rather common sense. If the photographer is experienced and really knows what they want to deliver, absolutely right.

To most of the rest of us:

The main job is lighting, angle and point of view and what to include and exclude. However, most other photographers would do well to go wider especially:

• only 3 MP are needed for a decent 8x10 and that's all that's needed
  • most cameras have more pixels than that
  • can crop just as well in PS until experienced
  • one has creative choices for ever

Here's the great point. Over the years, one can develop new ideas and return to that file to recompose and develop with a different expression from inside. Having more to choose from, expands this.

Purpose orientated shooting is different; the marksman lines up purpose with skill! Then and only then, devoting all those pixels to the limited field is more logical and preferred.

Nicolas,

So, for someone like you, framing close is more than a privilege, it makes sense!

Framing up front is a balance between supreme quality of a large print versus openness for future new work with that lost scene. Can you see some value in that?

Asher

Last edited:

nicolas claris

OPF Co-founder/Administrator
My dear Asher
both wide and tight can be done with the same subject!
When I shot the Marques de Riscal building designed by Franck Gerhy, I used all focal lenses from 12 to 500 mm! (not to forgot I played with the Sinat HY6 and Canon 1Ds3)
Each one -good or bad - has it own interest!, a similar approach, but slightly changed, drawing the viewer attention to a detail or a more general viewing…
While shooting ONLY thight or ONLY wide can be an error, I do think that you should encourage young photographers (I mean young to photography) to experience both and even medium focal length.
They all have advantages, one have to try them to get one's feet into the right field…

Would you teach graphics and illustrations, I would agree with you for the let's come back later with a different view. But that's not the case, we're talking photography and for me one of the very first choice for the photog is to decide what to show of a certain scene, hence decide what to exclude/include hence again what focal length and frame (same framing may have different renderings/meanings depending of different focal length used - I mean showing the exact same frame, but shot with different lenses).

I have been really impressed by Charlotte change of style (as you did point yourself in that thread) and the powerfull simplicity she used for that child portrait.
However, she won't be able to print that portrait correctly (because of the severe crop used) and that's a pity!

So don't discourage people to frame tight if they feel so!

Using and experiencing will teach them for the future what kind of wide/tight framing they wish to use for such or such shot…

Shooting only wide is restrictive. As shooting close is also…

Framing is part of your so well called "arc of intent".

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Arc of Intent! Time, fleeting events v. purpose-directed and planned shoots

My dear Asher
both wide and tight can be done with the same subject!
When I shot the Marques de Riscal building designed by Franck Gerhy, I used all focal lenses from 12 to 500 mm! (not to forgot I played with the Sinat HY6 and Canon 1Ds3)
Each one -good or bad - has it own interest!, a similar approach, but slightly changed, drawing the viewer attention to a detail or a more general viewing…

Shooting only wide is restrictive. As shooting close is also…

Framing is part of your so well called "arc of intent".

Nicolas,

"The Arc Of Intent", precisely! These are good points.

At least three key factors to consider:

• purpose orientated planned photography,
  • unique event documentation,
  • time available

Purpose-focused work, more often than not, one needs the just right lens for the job. When I photograph actors to include in a composition which will be constructed with different activities and poses, I use one focal length on a tripod, just the 8MP 1DII and a long lens. I know exactly what I need for each shot, although each might have a 20 slight variations. This way, the geometry is precisely what I need and there are plenty of pixels per figure. The background is also shot from the same position but with a wider lens. All planned in advance.

However, for street photography, there is often not enough time to change lenses so either a 35mm or 50mm lens is a good idea or else perhaps a zoom. Still getting a little bit more allows adjustments of crop at home. Wedding shots are best done a little wider as the moment cannot be repeated.

A riot or street demonstration, one cannot readily do a lot of lens changes!

Asher