• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

what canon camera and lens to buy ?

Paul Mansi

hi at the moment i am using a pentax K10 70mm to 300mm lens. im looking to buy a cannon been looking at the EOS 500D and lens 80mm to 200mm 2.8 IS USM or 100mm 400mm IS USM lens.
or do i jut upgrade on a lens for my K10. i mainly what to use the bigger lenses for sports ie motorbike racing.
any help on the above would be grateful

thanks paul

Kathy Rappaport

pro member
You might consider what we call the 50D in the US and the 70-200 2.8is is a great lens. It is heavily used for sports. If the price and weight is an issue then the 70-200 4.0 is a good alternative.

fahim mohammed

Paul, if I might ask..why do you want to move over to another camera system? what is lacking in your current setup that canon ( or whatever ) will provide you?

These might seem mundane and oft repeated questions, but they are very pertinent.

What genre/s of photography do you now practice or wish to persue in future?

Your answers might guide you ( and us ) to the right solution.

Best.

Paul Mansi

hi fahim thanks for replying i wish to persue more sports photos and thats why i was looking at the canon systems, my current set up is ok but seems lacking in the lens auto focus speed not unless its me not having the set up right. or do i just change my lens on my pentax system for say a sigma 150mm 500mm lens would this be fast enough. as i have seen some photos from a cannon setup and they seem much sharper in focus
thanks paul