• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Chrissy "The Rat"

Don Lashier

Well, actually a black cat who with thin facial hair as a kitten, but she eventually developed a fine thick glossy coat of hair. The trick to photographing black cats is bright lighting, usually meaning sunlight.

030630-018399-1-2-comp.jpg

- DL

Mary Bull

Ah, yes, Don, I see more and more what you mean.

Although my black cat is a true, black domestic shorthair, in bright sunlight she appears a shiny, chocolate color. The sunlight really displays its red spectrum on her coat, when the full noontime light is on her.

Chrissy "The Rat" would steal your heart in a little bit, wouldn't she?

Mary

Don Lashier said:
Well, actually a black cat who with thin facial hair as a kitten, but she eventually developed a fine thick glossy coat of hair. The trick to photographing black cats is bright lighting, usually meaning sunlight.

- DL
Chrissy is one georgeous feline! I love the pose on top of the scratching post.

For many years we shared our home with a jet black cat named Jinx, and as you say, photos in anything other than bright light nearly always failed. The only more difficult pet color scheme is black and white, the colors of one of my current cats.

Bob

Don Lashier

Asher Kelman said:
Hi Don,

I like that picture! Was it larger?

Asher

Hi Asher,

If you mean is it cropped - I don't think so - I'd have to check for sure, but my habit is to compose in the viewfinder.

But I did have to do a dual conversion and layer in PS, due to the high DR. The "rope" is still a bit blown out but I recovered all I could.

I would have preferred if I could have gotten her to look at the camera, but she was in one of those frenzied kitten moods. I got a few other shots before shot leapt off but she's looking the other way - still somewhat interesting.

- Don

Mary Bull

Don Lashier said:
... I would have preferred if I could have gotten her to look at the camera, but she was in one of those frenzied kitten moods. I got a few other shots before shot leapt off but she's looking the other way - still somewhat interesting.
Indeed, interesting.

You did get her eyes, clearly, and that intent stare, totally focused on her subject of interest, is so typical of cats that I've watched, especially kittens.

Your composition makes me feel as if I'm in the room with her, watching her as intently as she watches what is below her.

A great photo.

Mary