• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

More trees.....

Bill Graham

As an old woodbutcher, I'm fascinated with trees in general, especially when considering the conditions they endure to survive and grow. Last year I encountered these two at the Snake River Overlook at Grand Teton National Park:

"Tree, Snake River"
TreeSnakeRiver.jpg

Nikon D200, 17-35 AF-S @ 22mm, 1/30@F11, ISO 100

Lighting was not excellent(to put it mildly), taken late in the morning on a bluebird sky day. In color, it made a nice postcard photo, but a friend suggested I should try a black and white version. This is the result. There is a very slight crop at the left and bottom, I kept the original aspect ratio and just eliminated a little grass in the foreground and some empty sky on the left.

The contrasts in the scene were what caught my eye: old and new, leaning and upright, and the transitions from new grass to the plains to the mountains to the big Wyoming sky.

Your thoughts and critique are welcome. Feel free to edit and repost.

TIA,
Bill

Hi Bill,

The subject theme is a good one, I'd say. It may have a little too much competition in this wonderful setting, however. My attention keeps wandering off toward that incredible Wyoming sky and mountain range, and then trees become almost "in the way" of the view.

Limiting depth of field might be one way of separating your actors from the stage. Other possibilities include snow, haze, light fog, etc. Just some thoughts.

Tom