• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Just for Fun No C&C will be given: Brown things from the yard

The baby Western Diamondback Rattlesnake was on the back patio last night. We scooped it up in a bucket and took it out away from the house and released it.

The tarantula was in the bucket this morning when I woke up. My sister caught it in the driveway and kept it for me to photograph. It too was released unharmed out away from the house.

I am sorry but the scorpions that I find inside the house are not treated as humanely. They are sadly, flushed down the toilet.

James Newman

_DSC8606.jpg

_DSC8620.jpg

Doug Kerr

Hi, James,

The baby Western Diamondback Rattlesnake was on the back patio last night. We scooped it up in a bucket and took it out away from the house and released it.

The tarantula was in the bucket this morning when I woke up. My sister caught it in the driveway and kept it for me to photograph. It too was released unharmed out away from the house.

We see the snake once and the tarantula not at all. (Yeah, I know, you compose the one image tag, then cut and paste it, planning to change the image filename for the second one, and then the phone rings . . .)

I hope it is ok now. I see the baby rattler and the tarantula. Initially I think I posted the same image twice and then edited it out before posting the spider.

Here is another that was in the driveway Saturday evening right at dusk. I was actually trying to take some cactus flower shots so I had my 105mm macro lens on at the time. That is why the depth of field was so shallow I think. I also missed the focus point just a little and because of nerves I had a little camera shake that the IS system just did not counter. He was very agitated at me as I was crouching down in front of him about 10 feet away. The image is a crop. We herded it into a large pail and carried it 100 yards away from the house. I am sure he was probably back in a very short time.

James Newman

_DSC8665.jpg

Kathy Rappaport

pro member
Good captures

These are really nice images, James. Yes, your focus point was off a bit, but, I would not want to get closer than 100 feet of him, let alone 10 feet.

As for scorpion stories, well, I have a drunken story about them that's pretty funny (not me - someone else) that's well told over drinks sometime.

However, as subjects, I have not had good luck today with OPF. Spiders, Snakes, trash in the street and cigarette posters are the images of the day here.