• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Portrait of a Poet

Charlotte Thompson

A good friend of mine-taken last year I believe I found this in my old stuff yesterday and thought how did I not see this beauty-

SOB_6689-1.jpg

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Hi Charlotte,

Is the B&W portrait from RAW and how did you prepare it. Could you post those details? I love the image and wanted a little more before I comment!

Good job!

Asher

Charlotte Thompson

Asher

I am so very pleased you like this!
I start with color raw file and is immeditaely changed to jpeg in my ps workshop where I make the choice of color bandw or sepia or whatever
I crop there as well
I do light and shadow work on all of my photography- this gives me great freedom-
this portrait is the photographer William Blackford who among many talents is a writer and musician
you can blame him for all my work in photography-he started me and gave me my Nikon
thank you again for the compliment it means so very much

"He believes in a beauty"- "Bjork"- from "Venus as a Boy"

Charlotte-

Last edited:

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
I love his face, and the shot, but the background distracts me.

Hmm! Why did I like it then? Perhaps I didn't object to the bright b.g area since it gave us the lay or secular equivalent of a halo as in religious Christian paintings. I wonder! The unexpected contrast of this light area makes one notice the image more, maybe that's it. Still, it's final rendition could be nuanced.

I'd love other views.

Asher

Charlotte Thompson

Asher

yes! I was unaware when taking the shot the light would present itself this way-with the expression on the face it somehow worked out as it should have
"halo face" with a halo behind the head-
thanks for coming back-I almost missed this reply

Rachel
thank you but for me the halo worked in such a weird way*