• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Flower in the park

Rachel Foster

I got this image this morning in the local park. I've not yet analyzed what I like about it, but my question here is whether or not the highlights are "too much." Does it look burned?

ISO 125, 1/100, f/2.8; handheld (I was out for a walk, not specifically out to shoot).

smallIMG_9393.jpg

I got this image this morning in the local park. I've not yet analyzed what I like about it, but my question here is whether or not the highlights are "too much." Does it look burned?

Hi Rachel,

It looks fine. The bokeh is also pleasing. The placement is a bit too central for my taste, I'd crop off at least half of the featureless space at the left.

To control the highlights on such a smooth waxy surface, you'd need a polarizer. It allows to fine tune the balance between reflection and color. In postprocessing you can try to make 2 raw conversions, one for the highlights with reduced 'exposure', and blend them as layers.

Cheers,
Bart

Rachel Foster

Ah! A polarizer? Filters and that sort of thing is something I've wanted to familiarize myself with but have not as yet.

The placement: I'm prone to leaving too much empty space. I love empty space and often overuse it.

Thanks, Bart. I'm still trying to work on what I like and don't like about the image and your feedback is very helpful.

Rachel, be aware that a polarizer will significantly change the colors of some flowers, because they polarize the light preferentially to attract bees and other insects with polarization-sensitive vision.

<Chas>

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Rachel, be aware that a polarizer will significantly change the colors of some flowers, because they polarize the light preferentially to attract bees and other insects with polarization-sensitive vision.

<Chas>
Charles,

I think if one could also solve this problem by using a sheet/ or diffusion reflector for example, a 20" circular diffuser from B&H.

Asher