• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

critique desired

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Welcome to OPF!

I can't resist exploring so I've spent some time on your website. First, I like your photography and the scope of your experience and services. That's substantial. I also like the architectural essence conveyed by the design. Here are my questions

Do you need to limit the size of the page to a small fraction of the width of most screens. The part of your page with actual information is very small. With that, everything is squeezed into a limited real estate so one has to scroll to go through just the main categories of your portfolio.

The scrolling need just for categories and the "view now" instruction seems amateur and breaks the architectural sense of the work that we expect from the great impression on the Home Page.

If one uses all the available real estate you could set up blocks of icons for each of your three categories and have one central window for the picture. Using an architectural gray background or white would be less harsh on the eyes.

In the description "about":

Growing up in Chicago I spent my summers working with my grandfather and uncle who were contractors. As such I developed an appreciation for architecture and how buildings were built.

Over a period of 10+ years, I've built a successful commercial photography business specializing in architectural photography. Advertising, editorial, construction progress and even the grand opening or ribbon cutting ceremony are some of the other photo services I provide.

My creative philosophy is to discern the architect's design statement and interpret the three-dimensional structure in two-dimensional terms without destroying the visual impact of the building.

My business philosophy is simple: Deliver the project on time and within budget, but try to deliver more than promised.

I hope you enjoy looking at my work as much as I enjoyed shooting it! Thanks for visiting my web site.

Specialties
Advertising
Architecture
Annual Reports
Corporate
Editorial
Interior

You have placed interesting story telling before what you offer. Here's what I think should be the sort of text that you might consider:

Mike Barton serves the twin cities region with photography for Advertising, Architecture, Annual Reports, Corporate & Editorial needs. We are experienced in all phases of conceptualization, design and style of photography to meet our clients wishes. We work with digital, film and will carry through and deliver first class images that show your company well.

now the personal background: ....

Kind wishes,

Asher

I hope you will share your pictures under architecture!

mike barton

help w/ website

Many thanks Asher,

I very much appreciate your help with evaluating my website. What you say makes sense
and I will be back after I've used some of your ideas to rework my site.

Sincerely,

Mike