• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Fahim's Advice

Wendy Thurman

In an earlier, unrelated thread, Fahim mentioned I should try the Nikkor 50/1.4 at high-ISO B&W. Here's a result of wandering around Arles in the early morning:

_WLT1116.jpg

The image needs some work- the patch of sky was problematic at ISO 3200- but I'd like to explore this technique a bit more.

Wendy

Cem_Usakligil

Hi Wendy,

It is good to see you experiment with new ideas and it seems to be delivering some good results already. I like the compositional elements of the picture. As you've pointed out the highlights are problematic, but I'll come back to that in a minute. Back to the picture itself, then. I don't know what my feelings exactly are with this one. I think it is nice, but perhaps only that. Perhaps it is because I can't see the effort going into the climb by just looking at the body language of the biker. I don't know and I have to think this through. Mind you, the modern ATB bike in an old area such as this one is a nice contrast in itself.

Re. the high ISO and the highlights, I suggest you take a look at this thread. Basically, it would have been better if you'd shoot with ISO 1600 and underexpose 1 stop, and then correct the exposure (+1) in the raw converter. That way you'd have no problems with the clipping of the highlights and have perhaps even less noise in total.

Cheers,

Wendy Thurman

Cem-

I will experiment with the ISO 1600 idea and perhaps experiment with the auto-bracketing the D700 offers- I've not used that feature to date. I think I am on to something here, but it obviously is an idea that needs more work; this was the only image of twenty or so I shot this morning that I cared anything for. I'm not there yet but I will keep experimenting. The light here in Provence is nice.

Wendy