• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Gallery in the light

Bernhard Rees

Visiting one of the museums here at my home town I found the following view into one of the galleries. I hope you can enjoy the picture and the spirit of this fine piece of architecture.

Bernard Rees: Gallery in the light

Critique and comments are highly welcome.

Bernhard

Last edited by a moderator:

nicolas claris

OPF Co-founder/Administrator
Bonjour Bernhard
this is a very fine and delicate photography.
The composition of course but also the"tender" colors induced in the different whites…
Also the fine structure of the wire netting opposed to the rest of the material.

Any other ones of the same serie?

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief

Bernard Rees: Gallery in the light

Bernard,

Most of us could have missed the delicate hues in the white by using bold measures to bring out the anatomy of the architecture at the expense of atmosphere. Hardly ever do we decrease contrast or tolerate such softness! So your observation of what is essential to the feelings in the scene allowed you to preserve and bring to us this agreeable setting. Surprisingly, it's not just contrast that's absent here but also a complete absence the lower 40% of the grey scale!

I have no doubt it would "pop" and be impressive with a higher contrast curve added, but that's where we craft our choices that "make" the picture that represents our imagination of the matter!

Still, I would offer that some very disciplined nuanced changes to the stairway, at least, would lift its importance and provide a more powerful entrance to the soft presence of the picture.

Asher

Paul Abbott

Its a great picture.
I agree with what Asher has said, but I feel it would benefit from some contrast, because I really would like to see more definition in those structures and details. Maybe a couple of people in the shot in the right position would give a nice reference to scale too.

Its a nice photo, nonetheless.

Bernhard Rees

Thanks for all the encouraging and detailed comments on my picture. The basic idea of showing some kind of a translucent look and feel seems to work. But there is still plenty of room to experiment without adding too much effects to this picture. For sure I will pick up the idea of adding a little bit contrast to it. Doing some additional shots with people moving around in this amazing architecture instead of showing the empty room only is already written down in my note book.

So, I will definitely go back to this place (btw. it is the Mercedes Museum in Stuttgart, Germany) and shoot some more pictures of these galleries later. The amazing difference of these galleries is that they are so much flooded with light compared to the inner exhibition space. This caught my attention so I shot some very few pictures. Nicolas, unfortunately you have to be patient with me since this is the only picture I am currently really happy with.

Bernhard

Cem_Usakligil

Hi Bernhard,

To me this is a very good picture, with or without contrast enhancements. The very first time I saw the picture I had the wrong impression that the stairs were going up instead of down. It took a moment to realize that it wasn't so. Powerful stuff ;-)

I hope you can revisit this museum later and show some more.

Cheers,

Bernhard Rees

... The very first time I saw the picture I had the wrong impression that the stairs were going up instead of down. It took a moment to realize that it wasn't so. Powerful stuff ;-) ...

Hi Cem,

That is the difference between the real world and a photography. But maybe it is much more simple to explain since rampant stairs are very common in Netherlands houses. And perception sometimes leads us in the wrong direction.

Thanks for the time you spent with my picture and for your comment.

Bernhard