• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Yet another "Hello", and...

Dave See

...thankfully so.

Hiyas all around, as I've been all around and now here!

Having recently returned to digital imagery, this forum "appeared" in a Google I'd prompted.

After reading through a few random threads herein, I am encouraged by dialog not so /rabid/, but appropriately ratiocinated/measured/respectful.

While my work is largely the use of Open Source software, I remain an artist with all that term drags behind it. And as an artist, one must make do, no?

So, am I soley in the digital fray? No. I drop a needle to disk often, and seek written word--if not present for those spoken. Am I anti-digital? No. The tactile presents one of many forms, and the eye senses both that on the screen, and that held in hand... or in the lived variable plane of the perceived.

Now, place a "camera" in this "lived variable plane of the perceived", as we all have done, and now we are "twee", or "twixed": both in and "in". Learning to see what is seen art is.

Thanks for letting me,
Dave

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Fascinating introduction Dave!

I'm interested in your work on Open Source software as this seems important to democracy and access.

Of course your photographs too.

Asher

Dave See

Asher Kelman said:
Fascinating introduction Dave!

I'm interested in your work on Open Source software as this seems important to democracy and access.

Of course your photographs too.

Asher
Hi Asher, and thanks for this forum!

I am not as much the flag-waving FOSS[1] user, but using a system for long enough, one's notion of comfort is given definition. For me, FOSS is a very respectful medium. Now, that makes communicating with folks about using certain applications and "actions" sometimes difficult to follow, but there's usually a common ground... and here, that's "photography". As for "access" and "democracy", yes FOSS

Oddly, most of my photography is in slides, negs and prints: not digital. Thus far I've been tweaking a BASH shell script which calls dcraw, Netpbm and ImageMagick utilities to "soup" my digital negs. I've
tried a couple "RAW converters" and realized I was in a digital darkroom... too soon. I want to get WB better integrated in my image capture process before I develop(!) too many bad habits, like "correcting WB" in the RAW conversion ;)

rgds.
Dave

[1] Free/Open Source Software, or a ditch ;)

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Hi Dave,

This is where you'll find lot's of experience here. As a start, if you can afford Photoshop, then color correction and white balance is pretty starightforward.

I'd simply scan some slides ans post them for how one would correct them. People will jump at a challenge. I'd pick one for landscape, another for people as a start.

You could pick up a used copy of PS 7.0 with transfer of the license legally, for very little and that will allow almost everything you need.

There are also educational copies of most software availoable if you take some extension course for example, you qualify.

In any case, the starting point could be two images you calue but see issues with.

Good luck and a huge welcome.

BTW, I still love film and we want to see more film guys show their work!

Asher

Ray West

Hi Dave,

Welcome

I'm interested in the diy aspects of open source, or free, etc. Could I prevail on you to start a thread, in the 'digital processing forum', say, to see how it pans out? I think there is a lot of stuff out there for free, which is actually worth money, compared with a lot of expensive stuff that is worth much less. (I understand the diff. between 'os' and 'free', but they often go together.)

Best wishes,

Ray

Dave See

Ray West said:
Hi Dave,

Welcome

I'm interested in the diy aspects of open source, or free, etc. Could I prevail on you to start a thread, in the 'digital processing forum', say, to see how it pans out? I think there is a lot of stuff out there for free, which is actually worth money, compared with a lot of expensive stuff that is worth much less. (I understand the diff. between 'os' and 'free', but they often go together.)

Best wishes,

Ray

Hi Ray,

Sure, I can do that.. and thanks for the welcome.

rgds,
Dave