Open Photography Forums

Open Photography Forums (http://www.openphotographyforums.com/forums/index.php)
-   Breaking News (http://www.openphotographyforums.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=85)
-   -   In Perspective Planet: Potato view of the Earth! (http://www.openphotographyforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=13759)

Asher Kelman March 31st, 2011 11:36 PM

Potato view of the Earth!

Well the earth is a huge magnet, The European space craft is assembling a new view of the earth that reflects the strength of our planet's magnetic field. So it really means that if you drop a penny from a plane at exactly 10,000 feet at different parts of the globe, it will arrive at different times to the ground.

Put it another way, other things being equal, work at different locations takes different expenditures of energy. Read more here.

Tom Robbins April 1st, 2011 01:56 AM

Asher, it looks as if Sri Lanka is the place to be when trying to set a new record for the high jump.

Cem_Usakligil April 1st, 2011 04:24 AM

Hi Asher,

Till Doug is awake, let me use the crayon rouge on his behalf.
Quote:

Originally Posted by Asher Kelman (Post 113208)
Well the earth is a huge magnet, The European space craft is assembling a new view of the earth that reflects the strength of our planet's magnetic field. So it really means that if you drop a penny from a plane at exactly 10,000 feet at different parts of the globe, it will arrive at different times to the ground

I am sure you must have meant the gravity field of the earth instead of magnet/magnetic field above. :)

On another note, a penny dropped at the same altitude may (possibly shall) arrive at different times even when the gravity is the same. There are other factors such as the magnitude of the friction against the size/weight of the free falling object which cannot not be negligable for a penny. Humidity, air pressure, wind speeds, etc will all cause variations.

Cheers,

Asher Kelman April 1st, 2011 09:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cem_Usakligil (Post 113214)
Hi Asher,

I am sure you must have meant the gravity field of the earth instead of magnet/magnetic field above. :)

On another note, a penny dropped at the same altitude may (possibly shall) arrive at different times even when the gravity is the same. There are other factors such as the magnitude of the friction against the size/weight of the free falling object which cannot not be negligable for a penny. Humidity, air pressure, wind speeds, etc will all cause variations.

Cheers,

Cem,

The great thing about OPF is the depth knowledge! Thanks for correcting me! As for the other factors, all things being equal, they would be normalized for our imaginary test.

:)

Asher

Doug Kerr April 2nd, 2011 06:00 AM

Hi, Cem,

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cem_Usakligil (Post 113214)
Hi Asher,

Funny - I just discovered this post, and was about to make the same comment, and then saw that you had taken care of it.

Thanks.

Best regards,

Doug
Queleque fois, le crayon rouge dort!

Timothy Bearden April 9th, 2011 01:34 AM

I like a potato. Potato earth....hmmmm.