• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Quick perspective control with PTLens

Doug Kerr

Here's an example of a quick perspective rework done with PTLens (v 8.5.2. free-standing version).

The shot is of the NBC building in Chicago, taken with my Canon EOS 20D using the Canon EF 24-105 mm F4/L IS lens at 24 mm (just a grab shot while Carla and I were walking to the Navy Pier to get lunch).

The first image is cropped and downsampled but otherwise ex camera . The second had the lens distortion removed (using the standard PTLens profile for that lens, automatically adapted to the focal length as read form the EXIF metadata) and the perspective changed (also downsampled). This took about 1-1/2 minutes (including housekeeping).

NBC_E31764R.jpg
NBC_E31764PC3R.jpg

The original EXIF metadata is intact.

Don Lashier

I like the first one better. You really don't want to remove all the perspective or it starts to look artificial. Check the visual next time and you'll see that the building actually does taper some from perspective although the camera may accentuate it. I do lessen perspective at times but usually don't remove it entirely.

- DL

Doug Kerr

Hi, Don,
I like the first one better.

Well, it was quicker to do!

You really don't want to remove all the perspective or it starts to look artificial.

Well, I didn't "remove the perspective". I changed the image to have a different perspective. What I removed was the convergence in the image of lines that are parallel in the real scene.

Check the visual next time and you'll see that the building actually does taper some from perspective . . .

If you mean that the effect of perspective in an "eye" viewing of the building makes the (parallel) vertical lines on the building seem to converge, of course.

Thanks for your comments.

Best regards,

Doug