• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Beware of iMac monitors

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
I ordered the 20" version and will take delivery next week, then found this info. http://discussions.apple.com/thread.jspa?threadID=1093045 I love my iMac and this one was to run PS and other same type apps. only. Any ideas or thoughts? Thanks, Roland

Roland,

My first response was "Nonsense" as I have never noticed this issue with the new 20" iMac. However, now I realize the whole point of the whirly pattern screensaver, in that it effectively obscures any gradient in lighting!

Yes, there is a subtle gradient, brighter to the left and now it is pointed out I am a little disturbed. The width of the screen also hides to extent of the dramatic differences in illumination. However I do all my critical adjustments:

1. Using a profiled 21" Eizo CG20 LCD monitor

2. Never anyway use borders of any screen.

3. Use the central area preferable since that is where the screen profile was made.

I find the iMac so wonderfully made, that I can put up with the illumination issue. Just need to have the whiel background and windows limited to about 65% of the width of the screen and then no gradient is appreciated

The OPF web page is 9" wide and for that centered, there is no obvious gradient right to left.

One can expand that page to ~12" and still not notice the right side being darker, however, it really is I'd guess a stop lighter.

Putting a white strip across the screen in photoshop gives measurements of 255,255,255 for RGB all the across the screen from left to right!

So the data mapped out to the screen for display is constant but the emission is not!

Asher

Andrew Rodney

Well my buddy, Martin Evening had an awful time trying to calibrate one of the new iMac's. It suspect its the glass surface in front of the actual LCD, not sure. So I don't think this is an isolated case.

I ordered the 20" version and will take delivery next week, then found this info. http://discussions.apple.com/thread.jspa?threadID=1093045 I love my iMac and this one was to run PS and other same type apps. only. Any ideas or thoughts? Thanks, Roland

On a side note, interesting, this site was loading very slowly and XP Sp2 warned me that this site runs a script that causes windows to slow down and eventually comes to a standstill, then gave me the option to deactivate the script.

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Georg, I'd be suspicious that you are dealing with a malicious code you picked up from somewhere else. vBulletin is designed to be run on all Windows computers!

They just want you to click on a deactivate button.

I suggest you immediately run an antivirus software on all you drives and also your CF cards.

Still, I'd drop a PM to Sean DeMerchant and let him know of the issue and my response.

Asher

Just to be clear, that message came when I clicked on the link to the apple discussion forum. But you're right, I'll do a complete check today, thanks.

Just to be clear, that message came when I clicked on the link to the apple discussion forum. But you're right, I'll do a complete check today, thanks.

Nothing to worry about, same happens on my box.
That Apple Discussions page (for some reason) needs to download over a thousand 'items', and leaves a script running that consumes a lot of processing power. Finally Windows gives a warning, and allows to disable that script to avoid the browser from becoming 'unresponsive'.

Just a case of poor programming on their part.

Bart

my MacPro/leopard/firfox crashed after following the link .. but just take it as an anecdote ..

regarding the iMac, I think that if you want to do photography work for a leaving you should consider getting a separate set up, I have limited resources, so I know how does it feel when they point to you the gear you should be using. On positive side, there are very inexpensive displays that you can upgrade later.

The other way to see it is to edit the images using numbers, and yet another way is to use a second display for color correction connected to the iMac...