• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Hi, I'm Dave from Canada

DLibrach

Hello all,

I am glad to have joined this forum and look forward to hearing from everyone.

I consider my self an avid hobbiest with aspirations of turning it in to a career. Although I always considered my self a photographer, it was only about a year and a half ago that I made the transition from a 'snapshot' and 'vacation' photographer to using my camera as form of self expression and exploration. This was in part due to a relocation with my wife to the East Coast (from Toronto) and the technological advancements in digital photography.

During that time I have really concentrated on my photography and have learned a lot (both through structured courses and hands-on experimentation). My work has paid off and I have begun to sell some prints and I will be the second shooter for a professional photographer during the wedding season and will also hopefully be doing a couple on my own.

My background in training and customer service seems to be a natural fit with what I want to do with my photography and am currently co-leading a photography workshop with health-care professionals who want to use photography as a means of reflection.

I look forward to the wealth of knowlege that I am sure will be shared on this forum.

Cheers,
Dave

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Avid Hobbyist? Right!

Hi David,

You are modest. I like the breadth of your work especially your eye for cosatal landscapes. I wonder if you have done any panoramic pictures anchored at one side to those rocks and spreading way to the other side to be lost in that sea mist?

Your entrance into Wedding Photography is always a challenge. You have obviously caught on to the magical but somewhat expected nuances of getting the little elements of personal preparation that will remain as fond memories for the bride and her mother, because that is the whole purpose of the wedding in the first place!

However, your picture #14 in the wedding sequence on your SmugMug site shows that you can depart from the expected to develop a creative vision. One is stuck with the performers in your wedding pictures, because they are the family and neither you nor they have much choice.

However, the ability to reach beyond these limitations toward one's own vision creates a little more magic.

Anyone can photgraph what's there. an artist photograph's what's not there!

So again, welcome.

I'd like to see that particular picture in the Aesthetic forum and let Alain and Ben give you feedback!

Asher

DLibrach

Hi Asher,

Thank you very much for the kind words. I still feel like a kid in a candy shop whenever I head out with my camera and I hope to try and nurture and retain that feeling for as long as I can.

It is quite ironic that you mentioned panoramic shots and I had just made plans to head out to that same spot this weekend to do exactly that (hopefully the weather, i.e. fog/mist, will cooperate). It is a new technique for me and I'm excited to do some experimenting. I'll let you know how I make out.

As far as wedding photography is concerned, again I appreciate your comments. I am looking forward to working with the photographer this summer. It'll be a great learning experience and as the second shooter, I will be able to concentrate on more artistic shots like that while he works with the families. This will also provide me with a safe environment in which I can explore different ideas whithout having to worry too much about messing up the required portrait shots.

Congratulations on the site and I am glad to be a part of it.

Cheers,
Dave

Let me extend my welcome as well, Dave. I had a look at some of your work, and your passion for photography comes through loud and clear - very nice work!

I have had the pleasure of a couple of trips to Nova Scotia in the last few years - once during fall to Cape Breton, and once 2 summers ago, with the Atlantic Puffin at Machias Seal Island the main destination, around which we did some driving around other areas of Nova Scotia, New Brunswick, and Maine.

Best regards,

DLibrach

Thanks for the welcome Don. You are an incredible wildlife and I look forward to learning much from you.

I've spent some time in Costa Rica (pre photography) with my wife who was studying bird diversity and am glad that you conduct workshops down there. It truely is a magical place with many incredible people. I'll be picking your brain for some wildlife tips as I'll be heading back down to Central America when she does her PhD research.

Cheers,
Dave