• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

M&M in the raw

Mary Bull

Or, more to the point:

M&M in RAW

MM_in_RAW_3_CRW_2283.jpg

1. I caught M&M in a calm moment.
2. Made two captures with the G2 in RAW setting.
3. Processed one of the two TIFs in LightZone.
4. Cropped.
5. Sharpened a bit.
6. Chose "soft light."
7. Tried to upload to Village Photo; file was too large for the free account
8. Downsized by resampling, 25% in Irfanview.
9. Uploaded. VillagePhoto further compressed the jpeg from 73,000+ to 72+ which?, KB I think. Numbers are blurring in my head right now. <she said, shaking head>

NB: I couldn't get Thistle. No way would he hold still long enough. <woe>

Mary

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Lighting M&M

Mary,

Please repeat at a faster shutter speed.

Put M&M on a new background. Try a solid color, the is not too bright or as dark as the cat's black.

Then take a picture at a higher speed with the naural light of a window falling on one side. After that, we'll do more.

You will be impressed!

Asher

Mary Bull

Her one majorly uncooperative cat!
But I'll see what I can do about the background and lighting.
The shutter speed I can adjust.
Thanks for the most welcome advice.

Mary

Don Lashier

A black cat is very difficult - I know, I've had a few (two currently).

Light background is good but the dark in upper right goes right into the cat.

Shutter speed is a problem indoors. Kick up the ISO if you haven't already. Brace your elbow on something if shutter speed is still low.

Focus can be a problem on black cats (no contrast to lock on). Take a number of shots refocusing (release shutter fully) each time.

If you have a window that receives direct sun perhaps you can catch him/her lolling on the floor in the sun. This helps shutter speed.

- DL

Mary Bull

Thanks a mil, Don.

I'll try for all these conditions.

As you know from long-time living with them, cats have minds of their own. M&M more so than most that have been in my life.

She was very ill last December. Close to death when I finally was able to get her to the vet. He saved her life with a blood transfusion, but then she wouldn't eat--I spent about a week re-training her to do that. During her convalescence she would let me do almost anything I wished with her, once she began eating on her own again.

The minute she got her strength back though, it was back to, "Don't touch me! I'll pet you, not you me!" etc. I'm not allowed to pick her up.

I'm dreading her annual check-up and rabies shot in a couple of weeks--but we have a great set of doctors at the veterinary clinic I use, plus knowledgeable helpers. So we'll get it done.

Meanwhile, if tomorrow's sunny, I'll go back to trying to get a decent portrait of her.

Again, I appreciate all the help here tremendously!

Mary

Don Lashier

Mary Bull said:
As you know from long-time living with them, cats have minds of their own. M&M more so than most that have been in my life.

You don't set out to take a photo of a cat. This is an art of opportunity - it may be hours, days, or even weeks before that opportunity arises. You keep your camera handy and become observant. When the opportunity arises you grab the camera and shoot lots and lots hoping that maybe one will be a winner.

Grey, not black, but you get the idea. Taken with a P&S. With P&S you have to be particularly careful with the background as you can't attain as narrow a DOF was with SLR.

011015-053.jpg

- DL

Mary Bull

OH, it's a gorgeous photo!

Don, I reckon I'd better get me an UPstrap and wear the G2, the way I wear my housekey--it's on a length of leather watchband around my neck. Been locked out too many times by my own carelessness. Intend never no mo' that to happen again!

I am having such a good time!

Mary