Open Photography Forums

Open Photography Forums (http://www.openphotographyforums.com/forums/index.php)
-   Image Processing and Workflow (http://www.openphotographyforums.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=38)
-   -   rich vignetting filter? (http://www.openphotographyforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=18314)

Anna Nowakowska May 4th, 2014 12:18 PM

rich vignetting filter?

Hi,

as in subject- anyone knows any nice and affordable rich vignetting filter sharp pinhole effect center for colour weddings shots?

Jerome Marot May 4th, 2014 12:30 PM

Please specify the kind of effect you want to achieve.

Asher Kelman May 4th, 2014 01:06 PM

Anna,

You might want to also post a picture for us to work with until you see the effect you like. I'll PM you with details, just in case!

Asher

Anna Nowakowska May 5th, 2014 06:00 AM

Great, I need a sharp Pinhole effect centre and slighly blurred edges especially in outdoor shots. I will post smth soon
Thx

Anna Nowakowska May 5th, 2014 06:04 AM

Hi Jerome,
I think of a gentle touch. I tried with imagenomic photoshop plug-in but couldn't find anything. Sligthly blurred vignette edges + crisp centre but not thacky. 80mm ,f1.8 + pinhole camera shot. If I am making myself clear at least in 1% that is what I mean.

Thanks.

Anna Nowakowska May 5th, 2014 06:08 AM

and one more imoprtant thing I am not a Lightroom user:)

Asher Kelman May 5th, 2014 07:09 AM

....and photoshop?

There are some filters which can be used with Aperture or iphoto. So what are you using?

Asher

Anna Nowakowska May 5th, 2014 07:33 AM

jim galli homemade soft focus lens

I wonder How to achieve the same effect as Jim Galli with his soft focus lens form medium format cameras in digital photography portrait.

Jerome Marot May 5th, 2014 07:59 AM

What you are looking for is called a vignette blur.

Nik software color efex pro filter collection has a vignette blur that is easy to adjust. Or, if you have CS6, you can do the same with this tutorial.

Alternatively, there are probably a few hundred free photoshop actions to give a pinhole effet or a vignette blur. For example, here. Since they normally use a fixed mask to control the extent of the sharp center, they are usually more difficult to adjust. The trick would then be to make a few masks yourself.

The classical way of obtaining this effect is to use a clear filter in front of the lens and smear vaseline on its edges.

Tom dinning May 5th, 2014 02:59 PM

Vignetting should only be applied while wearing socks and sandals and listening to Frank Sinatra singing anything at all.

Bart_van_der_Wolf May 6th, 2014 03:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Anna Nowakowska (Post 153089)
I wonder How to achieve the same effect as Jim Galli with his soft focus lens form medium format cameras in digital photography portrait.

Hi Anna,

It sounds like you are looking for not just a vignetted blur, but also certain characteristics of specific lens rendering. Topaz Labs have a specific plug-in for that, called Lens Effects. It not only allows to choose from a number of presets to get quickly started, it also allows to tweak, create, and save your own presets. That allows a very fast workflow if you want to create multiple images with a similar (your) look.

Topaz Labs usually have discount coupons for the attendees to their Webinars, so check that out if you want to purchase anything. Their upgrades so far have all been free for existing users, also for new enhanced versions, so the investment over time becomes even lower than the already reasonable prices suggest.

Cheers,
Bart