Open Photography Forums

Open Photography Forums (http://www.openphotographyforums.com/forums/index.php)
-   Breaking News (http://www.openphotographyforums.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=85)
-   -   Could in-camera bracketing improve Dynamic Range? (http://www.openphotographyforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=4926)

John_Nevill February 5th, 2008 06:18 AM

Could in-camera bracketing improve Dynamic Range?
 
Panasonic unveils developments of a new sensor that fires bracketed exposures at1.5ms intervals to help boost dynamic range.

For more info take a look at here

Although in its infancy and currently working at a sensor size of only 177x144px, this has to be a significant leap forward in HDR capture. Just one press of the shutter could produce 3 overlayed exposures which are combined and processed in-camera. This could see the end to blown highlights and improved shadow detail.

The limiting factor of current HDR techniques is the need to stick to relatively static subjects, due to the timing between manual frames, perhaps this technique could eradicate it.

Asher Kelman February 5th, 2008 08:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by John_Nevill (Post 42311)
Panasonic unveils developments of a new sensor that fires bracketed exposures at1.5ms intervals to help boost dynamic range.

For more info take a look at here

Although in its infancy and currently working at a sensor size of only 177x144px, this has to be a significant leap forward in HDR capture. Just one press of the shutter could produce 3 overlayed exposures which are combined and processed in-camera. This could see the end to blown highlights and improved shadow detail.

The limiting factor of current HDR techniques is the need to stick to relatively static subjects, due to the timing between manual frames, perhaps this technique could eradicate it.

John,

Hello reality! This work is beautiful. About time marketing and engineers started to think about what we need instead of packing more pixels. Of course this is the correct strategy in principal but the perhaps wrong path. CMOS sensors can be made so that each pixel is independently controlled like a single cell camera. Pixels can easily be shut off in at the rate of 1/150,000 sec. Other pixels can be collecting photons as long as possible.

Companies like Texas instruments are likely to be putting such ideas into mass produced Kodak and HP $300 cameras since the market scale is so massive. Grandma with her little digicam will take pictures that span bright sky and water to a toddler in the shade of a beach chair.

Asher

Nikolai Sklobovsky February 5th, 2008 09:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Asher Kelman (Post 42313)
John,

Hello reality! Of course this is the correct strategy in principal but the perhaps wrong path. CMOS sensors can be made so that each pixel is independently controlled like a single cell camera or binned to be a multi-cell camera. Thus one can throw out ISO concepts except for the pixels receiving less light. Pixels can easily be shut off in at the rate of 1/150,000 sec. Other pixels can be collecting photons as long as possible.

Companies like Texas instruments are likely to be putting such ideas into mass produced $300 cameras since the market scale is so massive. Grandma with her little digicam will take pictures that span bright sky and water to a toddler in the shade of a beach chair.

Asher

Asher

Pixel-based ISO control is a very cool concept, but it also implies that the camera should recongnize the goal of the particular image. Grandma on the beach example is fine, but imagine a studio shoot going for the highkey or the lowkey look. In the first case camera would try to turn the blown bg into nicely look light gray (220,220,220), showing all the possible wrinkle of the not-so-perfect backdrop, and in the second one it will try to boost the bg into something like (20,20,20), again showing all the possible bg defects and defeating the very goal of the image. I think this level of the AI is still eons ahead of us.

But Panasonic the idea instant bracketing, ie.e of having several images from one shot - me likie!

I think both ideas have merits: pixel-based correction can be used in consumer P&S while the instant bracketing could improve the life of the pro/prosumer world.

Asher Kelman February 5th, 2008 10:20 AM

Nikolai,

One would have menus like studio shot, beach and touch screen to adjust what is or isn't corrected!

Asher

Nikolai Sklobovsky February 5th, 2008 10:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Asher Kelman (Post 42316)
Nikolai,

One would have menus like studio shot, beach and touch screen to adjust what is or isn't corrected!

Asher

well, in that case, I want two and at the lower price that I paid for my 40D :-)

Asher Kelman February 5th, 2008 02:37 PM

Nikolai,

There are two ways that advances will come to us. One is from the top of the lines where the market is tiny and the technology has to be recovered with few customers.

However, the second method is surprising in that companies can indeed put out to the massive consumer digicam market advances that will be startling. By putting the cutting edge algorithms in a chip allows the work of the greatest creators to be commoditized.

This is a revolutionary approach to mass marketing, where modest gear can indeed pay handsomely for the massive R&D. TI simply devotes themselves to packing their inventions into chips that others can use. Think of them as commodity Digic chips but made by Texas Instruments and others.

Asher


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 09:18 AM.


Posting images or text grants license to OPF, yet of such remain with its creator. Still, all assembled discussion 2006-2017 Asher Kelman (all rights reserved) Posts with new theme or unusual image might be moved/copied to a new thread!