View Single Post
Old January 19th, 2007, 10:59 PM

I.... used to. I originally did raw conversion, gamma and initial rough adjustments using dcraw and ImageMagick. I then did curves in Cinepaint, final sharpening and printing from Gimp. All on Linux. Cinepaint, especially, was painful, but was necessary to get 16bit color depth while doing curves adjustments (which is where it matters most). I had to restart after every 2-3 images, otherwise it would crash - usually when I went to save.

I quit everything but the printing when I got a 20d and the interpolation algorithms in dcraw started introducing horrible artifacts whenever I had an image that was really sharp (blades of grass looking like sickly blue-green candy canes, etc). David Coffin recommended I blur my images to cover for it. I switched to Bibble Pro, but printing from Bibble Pro was bad so I kept Gimp/Gutenprint for that.

Then I did some very careful test prints, which convinced me to drop Gutenprint as a print driver - I got a Mac Mini and started using PS Elements as a RIP. Then I noticed that the Mac Mini was faster than my Linux box (which was 5 years old), so I switched from Linux entirely.

If not for the trouble with dcraw and the 20d I might have stuck with the Linux workflow, but that experience helped me realize that I was no longer interested in spending the time necessary to keep up with the bleeding edge (which 16bit color really was on Linux). Hopefully things have matured a little more since then.