View Single Post
Old January 25th, 2007, 10:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erik DeBill View Post
I had good luck calibrating my monitor under Windows
[snipped monitor calibration comments]
There was very minimal support for calibrated printing. I was just about to give that a try when I realized how badly Gutenprint was mangling my colors. Full story and comparison images here.

Cinepaint gives you true 16bit color (it supports 32bit/channel, actually). It's an offshoot of Gimp, so the interfaces are very similar. I didn't like the sharpening tools as much, but it's quite functional if you want to do your manipulation in 100% free software.

Bibble and Lightzone are both commercial, but both run on Linux (Lightzone unofficially, but with the blessing of the authors). Both do 16 bit and are very functional.

Interesting. I found that the thought I had to put into converting and adjusting my RAW files after I took them forced me to think about my pictures and kept me from just taking lots of throwaway snapshots. As I would adjust them, I'd be thinking about the picture, what I liked and what I didn't. It helped me improve my photography faster.
Hi Erik,

Thanks for the perspective, and links. Your posting points to an infrastructure I am yet to implement: I have done some hardware calibration, yet have no printer capable of even the test prints you discuss at your blog.

I have pulled down, but not installed Cinepaint. That's on my TODO list. I'll pull Bibble and LightZone too.

As to your comment on adjustments in RAW conversion: I agree that the "visual memory" of what has been learned in the RAW conversion does inform decisions while capturing the image data with the camera. Despite my more "batch mode" approach through scripting dcraw, et al., I have learned to see a lot more through the camera.

In time, I too will enter the digital darkroom of programs like Cinepaint and interactive RAW converters. I do not intend to be contrary, nor against their use. I'm simply exploring the RAW file format and camera WB function--I'm playing with adjusting color temp by fixed Kelvin values in camera... what this has taught me to see without the camera is tremendous! Thus, my scripting the RAW conversion to produce TIFF or JPEG may be seen as establishing a "floor", foundation or constant while I learn more about the capture process. I'm attempting to better understand the source of the data before I consider what, or which of the bits I later may twiddle at the computer.

Thus far, I have not seen any of the "candycane" artifacts from dcraw. I've got a "souper" script to process a batch of DNG files. And another script to parse the TIFF thumbnail from the DNG and make a JPEG "index" of the DNG, TIFF or JPEG files. Along with these are projects to organize(and discard poor) DNGs and collect notes on content and processing, etc.

I'll make some time to pursue your method, and those of others' offered here. Thanks! And let me know if I can offer any assistance on the FOSS front!

rgds,
Dave