• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

A Little Bee

Mary Bull

Here is a rendition by Dierk Haasis of a little bee below a mushroom hat, which I captured with my G2 on my front lawn yesterday morning.

Dierk, thanks a million for bringing out her beautiful form and colors, and just for doing the entire rendition for me.

Little Bee
main.php

And many thanks to Cem Usakligil. for hosting this gallery for me on his website.

Cem also made a couple of renditions of this image for me, which can be seen at the gallery link above, also.

I have the link set to display Dierk's rendition first. But to the left the other two photos in the gallery--the fine renditions by Cem--are listed. Just click on the titles to navigate.

Dierk, I love the warm colors and beautiful form which you brought out on the bee. That's why I chose to link to it first, in this post.

Mary

to reference larger version :)

Last edited by a moderator:

Mary Bull

Thanks, Daniel. I'm afraid I don't deserve a lot of credit.

I couldn't get my eye down to the ground to see the G2's view screen or to see through its view finder.

I was shooting blind, in macro, trying for a side view of the mushroom's stem, gills, and cap.

I cleared away the grass and twigs down to the level of the soil on the south side of the mushroom--it's very small, between 3 and 4 inches in height.

Then I set the camera a little way away, and pushed the button. Did this a number of times from different distances and angles.

Had no idea the bee was there until I recognized it on my monitor screen.

Mary

Joe Russo

Mary Bull said:
I couldn't get my eye down to the ground to see the G2's view screen or to see through its view finder.

I was shooting blind, in macro, trying for a side view of the mushroom's stem, gills, and cap.

Mary

Now that's what I call serendipity!

Wonderful image Mary. You may have found a specialty in macro!

Mary Bull

Big smile on my face as I read your comment, Joe.

I'm not an entomologist and I'm far from seasoned in the ways of my G2.

But I love the outdoors, and I love trying to catch what I see with the camera, successful or not.

And sometimes I get lucky.

I'm definitely lucky in the people who were willing to spend time rendering the image and hosting it. (Dierk and Cem.)

I would never have had the skills to bring out the little bee. I had the wrong settings on the camera--although I did have it on macro--and so work needed to be done in an image editor.

Which I'm not the most adept at either, as I demonstrate at OPF rather frequently.

But, I'm happy to be here!

Mary

Mary Bull

Stuart Rae's rendition of my little bee, from the RAW file

Here's the link to a beautiful rendition of my image of the little bee under the mushroom hat. I thought some of you who read here would like to see it, so I uploaded it to the gallery that Cem is hosting for me.

http://opf.mediacentric.nl/albums/main.php/v/Mary+Bull/Bee.jpg.html

Stuart cropped off part of the stem, as he told me in a PM, and then used Light Machine to shine a tiny spotlight on the bee.

Mary